Ex-offender pedlar on Upland Road

Dazzi

Has anyone interacted with a pedlar selling small household goods, claiming to be an ex-offender? Came to our door at around 7pm (17Aug).

I couldn’t back out of of opening the door as he was very insistant and I got a panic attack under his pressure. I ended up buying things too.

If you interacted with him too, could you verify that he was legitimately enrolled on some sort of programme? He did show me a certificate but I didn’t take a picture and did not know what to look out for. I am now scared that we might become targets for a burglary or something.

Thank you.

They have worked in the area for years, selling dusters and other cheap tat.

Yes, they are insistent and very sweary and aggressive if you don't buy.

Cannot see link with burglaries though?

Our neighbourhood Police Team gave this advice:

"regarding “the area increasingly being targeted by hawkers selling stuff from massive backpacks that they carry and them being threatening and being abusive and aggressive”.

We (SAFER NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICE TEAM) have increased our foot and mobile patrol in the area recently. We are aiming to stop them and deal with any apparent and alleged offences. I would advise you to call 999 if they become threatening and abusive and aggressive toward the residents as it clearly counts as public order offences. This would help us to stop and identify them and collect evidence while they are still in the area.

Kind Regards,

PC ADHIKARI – 2208AS"

It's not uncommon for these to be under the control of a 'gang-master' who supplies them with materials and takes (most) of the income. Ex offenders can themselves be vulnerable and the fact that they are ex-offenders (offence not disclosed, of course) supplies them with built-in intimidation. They ignore any signs which suggest that the occupier does not buy unsolicited. If we all 'don't buy' then the gang masters may see us as a poor choice of neighbourhood and go elsewhere. Normally these gangs will 'hit' an area over several days. Alerts via fora like these are useful.

Dazzi, it's definitely not an ex-offenders rehab. scheme: I contacted the Home Office a while back to ask that and got this reply:

21 Community Rehabilitation Companies (CRCs) were established in order to deliver rehabilitation services in England and Wales to low and medium risk offenders.

The CRCs are not involved in such door-to-door selling schemes and we do not condone such activity. We firmly believe that offenders should be integrated back into the community in a more positive manner than this.

I was threatened with acid being thrown in my face, gang rape and murder by one of these delightful "ex-offenders" because I wouldn't buy anything. He also threatened to come back, smash up my car, break into the house and steal everything in it. I called the police and he was arrested, not sure what happened to him after that.... Now I never open the door to anyone I don't know, I have a videophone (not a Ring camera as I had one stolen, ironic) which also records.....