double yellow lines

I wasn’t going to respond to this thread as my response was So! Not parking on double yellow lines is a well known rule and it’s common courtesy not to block someone’s s drive.

In the 40+ years I’ve been driving parking on a yellow line has risked a ticket and double yellow lines are often there for safety. I can’t think of any double yellow lines in Dulwich Village that are somewhere parking a car would not be inconsiderate to pedestrian’s or other road users. Sometimes double yellow lines appear to be in odd places but you can object. An order is needed before a double yellow line goes in and gives time to object, after they are in if you think it’s wrong you can contact the Council. It may or may not be removed.

Ianr whether there is a yellow line or not it’s common courtesy to leave someone’s driveway clear. How do you know they are not out shopping/will have someone in the car who can’t walk far without help or coming back from the hospital having just lost a relative. In any of those situations how would you feel if it was your driveway and you came back and it was blocked?

I’m sure one of the reasons there are more double yellow lines than when I started driving is to stop people parking inconsiderately or dangerously. Southwark has put in double yellow line junction protectors. The Highway Code might say DO NOT not MUST NOT but it also says DO NOT stop in a bus stop - I’m sure I’m not the only one that’s been on a bus that couldn’t get into the bus stop or held up by one.

We need some rules so we can avoid accidents most of the time sometimes they may inconvenience or delay us, other times they help us. Someone’s looking for a parking space for their van and sees one at the end of the road, gets there and there’s double yellow lines so parks somewhere else. Another driver is approaching that junction and sees someone walking along the pavement on their mobile phone and has time to slow gently not jolting their passenger with a bad back by needing to brake suddenly. The rules are not there for rules sake they are unfortunately needed as some people think of no one else once they get behind the wheel or even those that do don’t know the full situation when they are looking to park and need something to say not here.

Thanks for reading if you got to the end.

Well that has cleared things up! Sorry for sounding mean, I agree with your views

I got a ticket in Surrey once for parking across my friend's house. Locals were peed off with people taking a liberty. It was 20;years ago and in those days (a) police did get involved with such misdemeanours and(b) I could actually speak to someone and get it overturned

Fast forward 20 years and I can't get the Met or the council to take action when cars parked on doubles, and sometimes on the pavement on opposite side when there are large events at the banqueting house in Perry Vale. Pointing out that it creates a major hazard gets me nowhere. And yes I've raised it with my MP.

A mate in Bexley is so peed off with parents parking across his drive, due to his proximity to a secondary school, he is moving. He gets nowhere when he protests either to the parent or the school.