76 heatwave

Spartacus

You poor old people : :lol: :

In 40 years time TB, you will be posting about the 22 heatwave and kids will be laughing at you :o

I wonder how many from this youthful generation would cope if 76 problems happened again or would the find walking to a standpipe or saving water by bathing with a friend (had its ups and downs :lol: ) too much and demand government action to turn the sun down ?

The heat was high and relentless over weeks, not a few days, in 1976. I doubt this heatwave will last more than six days though the highs will likely be higher than back then

Apparently (source bbc news) it was 15 consecutive days where the temperature was 32 degrees or higher.

Yeah 1976, really persistent heat for ages. everything growing died. it seemed. I remember the afternoon the rain started, already had our shirts off cos of the heat, first drops were big and warm, then we stood there getting totally soaked next to the house. wasn't the final end of the hot days though, from memory.

We had a wet half term in South Wales and returned from Devon on the last Saturday of August when the weather broke. In-between not a drop of rain

We were allowed to take our ties off at school. Most of us brought in a bottle of squash that was frozen overnight. So from my memory nonsense to say school kids didn't carry water.

No memories of plagues of ladybirds. We didn't have a hosepipe ban but father did his bit as we used bath or sink water to flush the toilet.

I hadn't discovered rock music but started to show an interest in the opposite gender

It was nowhere as hot as it is now

I would have been 11, but we lived on the west coast of Scotland. It was still hot even there, and I do remember the tarmac was very soft. As kids, we spent a lot of time in the water of Loch Etive, which was about 10 mins walk.