EDF upgrade feedback

Joe

• Administrator

Hi all,

As you may have seen, the forum software has had a big upgrade. This has been in the works for the last few weeks.

We have completed a few rounds of testing prior to the launching of the new EDF, however as with all IT projects there will likely be some teething problems.

If you have feedback you'd like to share, please do so via this thread.

Thanks,

Joe

Known issues

• All forum threads, posts, private message since June 20th are missing. Unfortunately due to an issue with the backup, these have gone missing and can't be recovered. Apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused.

• Attachments have not been imported (sadly, it was not possible to recover these)

• Automatic password reset and registration emails are not being received (or delayed) for people with Microsoft accounts (Hotmail, Outlook, Live) - NOW FIXED

hi, I had agreed to buy a garden swinging chair on Saturday from swade1 but both the item and my messages have disappeared. Is there anyway you can put us in contact as a search doesn't bring any details up? Thank you in advance

I̶'̶m̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶"̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶n̶g̶u̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶i̶f̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶v̶a̶l̶i̶d̶.̶"̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶e̶m̶a̶i̶l̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶B̶o̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶P̶r̶e̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶c̶e̶s̶.̶

T̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶d̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶u̶m̶n̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶h̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶h̶t̶t̶p̶s̶ ̶s̶i̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶.

Any chance to make the thread view count increase only once per user? Otherwise anyone could refresh all day to increase the count on a thread to make it look popular.

C̶a̶n̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶d̶ ̶b̶a̶n̶n̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶u̶n̶d̶e̶r̶n̶e̶a̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶r̶i̶g̶i̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶?̶ The ads on the right are good and how ads should be done IMO.

Edited by Twoddle

Wow, this looks so good, a leap into the third decade of the 21st century, thanks so much. Just a little comment, on the old forum it was possible to go directly to the latest post on a thread from the section index: is that possible to do now?

I̶ ̶d̶e̶l̶e̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶i̶v̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶s̶s̶a̶g̶e̶s̶.̶ ̶N̶o̶w̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶-̶5̶ ̶(̶m̶i̶n̶u̶s̶ ̶5̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶d̶)̶ ̶p̶r̶i̶v̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶s̶s̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶b̶o̶x̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶z̶e̶r̶o̶.̶

C̶l̶i̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶v̶a̶t̶a̶r̶ ̶i̶c̶o̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶r̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶c̶i̶r̶c̶l̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶,̶ ̶"̶m̶o̶d̶u̶l̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶i̶b̶l̶e̶"̶.̶

T̶h̶e̶ ̶"̶P̶r̶o̶f̶i̶l̶e̶"̶ ̶h̶y̶p̶e̶r̶l̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶f̶i̶l̶e̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶r̶e̶s̶h̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶c̶u̶r̶r̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶o̶n̶.̶

N̶u̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶m̶i̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶1̶0̶,̶ ̶p̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶l̶a̶r̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶e̶g̶.̶ ̶4̶0̶.̶

I̶n̶ ̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶"̶D̶i̶s̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶B̶B̶C̶o̶d̶e̶"̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶u̶n̶c̶h̶e̶c̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶q̶u̶o̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶.̶

on the old forum it was possible to go directly to the latest post on a thread from the section index: is that possible to do now?

There's a small arrow next to the last poster's name on the right.

Edited by Twoddle

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but thanks so much for all your hard work, Joe (and again to Mark).

At my advanced age it's going to take a bit of getting used to, but so do many things these days 🤣

Pound signs are showing as question marks - is it US spelling?

I'm not Joe :-) but could you post an example. This is a pound sign £ (posting from Ubuntu). Does it appear as a pound to you?

Seems all £ signs from the old forum got lost in the move due to character encoding issues.

How do I reply with a private message?

Click the small speech bubble where it says "Contact:" to the left of the post.

That only appears on a desktop version and not on the mobile portrait version ... unless you rotate your phone to landscape

I can’t access messages that have been sent to me.

I just go through to a 404 page or bad gateway page

It’s also even more difficult to read message threads on the new version on my IPhone than it was before.

Any solutions?

@Jenijenjen - took me a bit to work this out too - If you click on the little green tick or loudspeaker to the left of the thread title that will take you to unread posts in that thread.

I’m on an iPad. Is it different- can you screenshot it pls?

@Jenijenjen - took me a bit to work this out too - If you click on the little green tick or loudspeaker to the left of the thread title that will take you to unread posts in that thread.

I’m on an iPad. Is it different- can you screenshot it pls?

I’m unable to post a screenshot but I think you may need to be using the iPad as landscape ?

• Administrator

Thanks for the feedback all. I have been working my way through these in the background in the last couple of days. Still work in progress.

The "Profile" hyperlink on the right doesn't take you to your profile, it just refreshes the page you're currently on.

This should now be working. However I still need to fix the avatar link on the right navbar

Number of posts on a page is limited to 10, please make it larger eg. 40.

This has been increased

In edit mode, the "Disable BBCode" has to be manually unchecked for things like quotes to work.

The BBCode option is enabled by default now.

Some other things of note:

- The 'Sent Messages' folder will be empty and does not contain PMs you've sent prior to 10th July. They all appear in your inbox instead. However, any new PMs you send going forward will correctly placed into the Sent Messages folder.

- The link to send people PMs next to forum posts is a small and unintuitive. It does not seem to display in mobile view. I will be looking at fixing this. For the moment, you can PM someone by clicking the username of the person next to their post and pressing 'Send private message'