Very old debt - need advice please

Angelina

I have an old debt on my gas meter - British Gas have said it's from around 2010 but cannot provide any information as to what it's for.

I don't believe I owe it as they have never written to me about it or sent me a bill or chased it.

I only found out about it when I had a new gas meter installed in 2020 (I first questioned it then and it's still not sorted out).

Since then I've been to the Ombudsman and they have said I need to provide evidence as to why the debt should be removed.

I don't know what evidence to give them as I don't have any details for it or why it is even there.

British Gas don't either.

I'm not really sure why it's up to me to prove that I don't owe it.

Any help appreciated.

Is it a small or substantial amount? If small, surely BG can disregard it and the problem solved.

The CAB or the MOney Saving Expert Forum might bring some good advice. Alternatively sending a request for help to the Guardian Consumer Champions might help resolve the issue by putting BG in the paper!:

'We welcome letters but cannot answer individually.

Email us at [email protected] or write to Consumer Champions, Money, the Guardian, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU. Please include a daytime phone number. Submission and publication of all letters is subject to our terms and conditions'.

Another option is getting your MP involved, if you haven't already.

I’m not sure how they could prosecute in court without evidence for why they’re so cock sure you owe them.

Especially evidence you’ve not had the chance to see yourself (at which point you’d obviously be convinced to pay).

Ask for it and if they don’t provide it say you’ll pay when they do provide it.

Otherwise they can piss off!