EDF upgrade feedback

Joe

I've lost all of the messages I sent.

I have lots of duplications in my inbox and I cannot access the latest messsages I've been sent. I got the email notifications but when I clicked on the link it just said 404 or bad gateway.

I was looking for a flat in ED so maybe this is God's way of telling me to move somewhere else?

Hello Joe

Superb work in taking this over and thank you as such a great local resource.

How do you reset new posts? On the old forum you could click 'reset new posts' (I think that was the name of it) and it would mark all posts as read so so you would know which posts are new when you next log in.

Thank you again and good luck in your new role.

SW

• Administrator

Hello Joe

How do you reset new posts? On the old forum you could click 'reset new posts' (I think that was the name of it) and it would mark all posts as read so so you would know which posts are new when you next log in.

SW

Appreciated!

To mark all the posts in the forum as read, go to the main page (https://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk), scroll to the bottom and click "Mark forums read". Next time you visit all the forums/threads with new posts will be marked with a green icon next to them.

• Administrator

If you report a post it goes to an error page, also is there a way of creating a profile? When I click on profile it goes to error page also

I've literally just managed to fix the report post link. It should work now.

I think the profile link should be working too. If it isn't, could you let me know where its located? Thanks.

THANKS A MILL Mark and hello Joe, this has been a lifesaver and late night companion for years. I've shared with so many and bought so much that I do and don't need here over the years. Love it...

I've had to wean myself off so just popping back in and seen the changes.

@Joe holler if you fancy a chat and might need a hand.

#keepitlocal

Off to investigate the site.

Vx

Clicking the spanner menu allows you to subscribe to a topic or a forum but the checkmark is shown against "Subscribe" when you are not subscribed and vice versa.

Perhaps the checkmark is designed to tell you that clicking it will subscribe you but it is not the convention and seems counterintuitive.

Clipboard01.jpg.d57da56dcf95e185eb7a08007b002f4e.jpg

I'm getting "The language you specified is not valid.", when trying to change my email preference in Board Preferences.

T̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶d̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶u̶m̶n̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶h̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶h̶t̶t̶p̶s̶ ̶s̶i̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶. Fixed.

Any chance to make the thread view count increase only once per user? Otherwise anyone could refresh all day to increase the count on a thread to make it look popular.

Can we remove the ad banners underneath the original posts in a thread? It's ugly. Don't make me create a rule in my ad blocker. The ads on the right are good and how ads should be done IMO.

I’m also getting the ‘The language you specified is not valid’ error

Hello Joe

SW

Appreciated!

To mark all the posts in the forum as read, go to the main page (https://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk), scroll to the bottom and click "Mark forums read". Next time you visit all the forums/threads with new posts will be marked with a green icon next to them.

Thanks Mark and Sidue for your replies, a happy forum user here!

• Administrator

Well done. Super glad to have this! Has taken me a while to be able to reset my password, lots of time getting page not found, but all sorted today.

There have been a few issues with sending automatic forum emails to Microsoft addresses (Hotmail / Outlook / Live) over the last couple of days. That was probably the issue in your case. Thankfully, its now sorted and the password reset emails should work as normal.

Hi Joe, love the new website and thank you for keeping EDF going.

I have an issue with PMs. Some messages immediately go and I can see them in my sent box, but others stay in my outbox. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much.

Hi Joe. The issue I mentioned last week is still happening. Anything I should be doing to ensure PMs do not sit in my outbox? Thanks.

• Administrator

Hi Joe, love the new website and thank you for keeping EDF going.

I have an issue with PMs. Some messages immediately go and I can see them in my sent box, but others stay in my outbox. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much.

Hi Joe. The issue I mentioned last week is still happening. Anything I should be doing to ensure PMs do not sit in my outbox? Thanks.

The way its works on this forum software is that the PMs stay in the Outbox until the person who they are being sent to logs into the forum. At which point they move to the Sent folder. So don't worry you are not doing anything wrong :)

Unrelated, but while we're on the subject of PMs, I have now enabled new PM email notifications by default. That's how it worked on the previous forum. I know a few people were confused about why they were not receiving an email notification when they received a PM.

• Administrator

Still can't turn off for example, "Users can contact me by email" in Edit global settings due to a "The language you specified is not valid." error.

Direct email sending was always disabled globally (only PMs are allowed) so that setting was misleading, it was always 'off' even though it said 'on' in your User Control Panel . I have completely removed the setting from the User Control Panel to avoid confusion.

Still can't turn off for example, "Users can contact me by email" in Edit global settings due to a "The language you specified is not valid." error.

Direct email sending was always disabled globally (only PMs are allowed) so that setting was misleading, it was always 'off' even though it said 'on' in your User Control Panel . I have completely removed the setting from the User Control Panel to avoid confusion.

The trouble is that the spurious error message is turning up, and the submitted option discarded and replaced by the ?default setting, for an attempted edit of any of the global setting items, even an anodyne change of preferred date syntax.

It's doubly odd in that, aiui, phpBB base comes with English installed as the sole available language, with any others catered for only by add-ons.

• Administrator
Ok I've found what was causing the The language you specified is not valid error. It should be fixed now. Let me know if you still see it anywhere.

• Administrator

An update:

you may have noticed I've made some usability improvements to the layout, including adding a 'Send private message' link under each person's username. Unlike before, its also visible in mobile view.