East Dulwich-on-Sea

Townleygreen made an interesting point about (non) future of East Dulwich in the context of the current estimate that sea levels will rise 65 metres when the ice caps have melted.

Some years back when I first read about the ice caps melting I got out an old 6" Ordnance Survey map of East Dulwich and checked the benchmarks and spot heights. These ranged from about 160 feet above sea level at The Plough going down to about 60 feet above sea level at Goose Green.

I thought about a few decades in the future when The Plough pub would be renamed The Marine Hotel and the Plough area would be East Dulwich-on-Sea. I even had a smirk about a smart young entrepreneur starting a business offering boat trips to the Alexandra Palace.

But that was when the estimates were up to 50 metres.

Now the estimates are 65 metres and more we are talking about Crystal Palace-on-Sea and Crystal Palace Parade being a seaside promenade.

The timescales for the current estimates are much debated but many of the estimates are within the lifespans of homes now being bought in East Dulwich.

So, a question.

When people have a site survey done for a prospective home purchase in East Dulwich is there now a section in the survey report that details the height above sea level of the property and its implications?

I've heard that some of the smart mobile phones young people have these days have built-in GPS devices. I be interested in some reports of the heights above sea level of some of the East Dulwich landmarks such as the Crystal Palace Tavern.

Forest Hill is a deceptive.

Some parts are only a few feet higher than the Crystal Palace Tavern. But most parts of Forest Hill should still be above water until around 2038.

So, Renzon, have you actually checked the height above sea level of your home?

And, Keef, you're probably right about Sydenham, but do you include drinking 100 feet under water as one of your skills?

I've had a quick peek. My house is 125ft up, so good for a couple more years, by which time I'm sure I will have cashed in on the huge price rises for homes at the tops of hills :D

From my calculations Forest Hill station is 183 ft, and the Hornimann seems about as safe as you can ask for locally at 272 ft up!!

You're laughing in Crystal Palace, the triangle being a mighty 367 ft up, isn't that a mountain in England?

> I've heard that some of the smart mobile phones

> young people have these days have built-in GPS

> devices. I be interested in some reports of the

> heights above sea level of some of the East

> Dulwich landmarks such as the Crystal Palace

> Tavern.

Commercial GPS is not wholly accurate. I rode to Sevenoaks last week, and using my GPS system got home to discover I had tackled a 600m peak on the way!

Can i suggest you just get an OS map, and look at the contours...