Birthday planning

I've just realised that my 30th birthday is sneaking up on me without me paying much attention to it. So I find myself in need of organising a birthday party in about two and a half weeks' time, having done nothing to arrange it so far beyond asking a few mates to save the date. It is possible that I am in denial.

I'm fairly new to ED, and a busy couple of months at work have meant that I don't really have a sense of the afternoon/night life or the drinking dens. I'd thought about either hiring a room/booking some space in a pub, preferably with some outdoors options on the off chance it's a nice day, and spending Saturday afternoon into evening getting gently boozed up with about 15-20 friends. Decent beer would be an advantage. Food might be a nice idea. Lots will be coming from north of the river or further afield, so ease of location would be good. What would forumites recommend? Anybody in particular I should speak to?

PS: I should point out it's a varied mix of friends, some older (maybe a couple of kids in tow early doors), some younger. Crucially, however, the only one who I suspect owns a pair of crocs and has 'ironic' glasses is out of town that weekend.

PPS: Yes, I know this could turn into a general invite to a forum to which I've only made a couple of contributions, which would be a bit weird. But if you make a decent suggestion and I end up there, I'll definitely buy you a drink.

I know it's not the best pub in the world, but I would recommend the Crown and Greyhound in Dulwich Village for a large event, easy to find location, and somewher with a big garden which caters for all... You can hire the back rooms during summer I believe leading into the gardens. :)

Try the Gowlett Arms - It can easliy cater for 20 people either inside, the rear garden or out front on the benches. They do pizza and have good range of organic wines and real ales (CAMRA SE pub of the year 2005). Kids are more than welcome and there's a pool table for those of your group who like that sort of thing.:)

I had a joint b'day shindig with a couple of others in the Florence at Herne Hill. Big Garden, food available, no need to book or anything and a pretty pleasant place. If the rain holds off you could do alot worse.

EDT allow you to nab the upstairs bit at no cost if you want a bit of privacy.

Just to add, for your friends coming from North of the river, The Rye will probably be the easiest to get to, especially by public transport. close to Peckham Rye stn and 12,63,363,37,343,78, P12 busses all stop near by too. (Under 21 strict 6pm curfew though)

boosboss Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just to add, for your friends coming from North of

> the river, The Rye will probably be the easiest to

> get to, especially by public transport. close to

> Peckham Rye stn and 12,63,363,37,343,78, P12

> busses all stop near by too. (Under 21 strict 6pm

> curfew though)

yeah cause you aint going to get a cab "dont go south mate"