ED saisburys is shut till thursday (it's now open again)

On a more positive note re Sainburys I had the misfortune to do my shopping at the Forest Hill branch on Friday night. No raspberries, no Vogels bread and only one display carton of Green and Blacks chocolate! You have to feel for the poor residents of Forest Hill! Roll on Thursday's opening of the ED branch!

"On a more positive note re Sainburys I had the misfortune to do my shopping at the Forest Hill branch on Friday night. No raspberries, no Vogels bread and only one display carton of Green and Blacks chocolate! You have to feel for the poor residents of Forest Hill! Roll on Thursday's opening of the ED branch"

well our store is the best

ED Sainsburys?

This is part of the Greater East Dulwich land-grab.

This Sainsburys is built in SE5. Check a map. It's the Camberwell Sainsburys.

The advertised postal address of 80 Dog Kennel Hill SE22 8AA is almost certainly a paid for accommodation/redirection address.

>>Welcome to the forum Mr Sainsbury's! I am counting down the hours until ... Starbucks re-opens!<<

I was there on Wednesday just before it closed - and it looks like the Starbucks will be somewhat bigger than the one there before.

As for the Forest Hill branch,this doubled in size not so long agobe but is still obviously not in the same league as the Dog Kennel Hill one.

I went up there in the rain last week and had some happy chappy run towards me with a flyer in his hand, informing me that the store was shut for a week. Not much good when LL; despite the supply of food stores, just doesn't have everything I need. I did go to the farmers market at Dulwich colleage yesterday and stocked up. Much better than Sainos.

I reckon Sains is crap and overpriced and usually packed to the rafters anyway. Morrisons in Peckham is way cheaper because you're not subsidizing Jamie Oliver's bonce on your TV screen. The stock is mostly exactly the same - it comes from the same suppliers in many cases. I notice no difference in quality whatsoever. This myth that Sainsbury's is somehow posher is a triumph of branding over reality.

Ladygooner Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes we know - its like checkpoint charlie trying

> to navigate along Edgar Kail way to get to my home

> in Abbotswood Road! Can't you just put up a sign

> outside saying shop is closed instead of

> interrogating everyone who turns into that road?!

I aimed my car at one of them on Thursday, they seem to have got the message now - however, when Charlotte and I were walking, WALKING back the other day they asked where we were going! Cheeky sods!

>>This myth that Sainsbury's is somehow posher is a triumph of branding over reality<<

Disagree - do Morrisons do Illy coffee beans or jars of Bearnaise sauce these days then? - inless you're talking about staples like tinned tomatoes or washing powder...

Sainsburys employ a great marketing campaign in posh areas/gentrified parts of town, by selling overpriced goods to people who think they're getting something special. Some of the Sainsburys stores i've been to outside of London are awful, and they do not sell half the brands you would find in a London store. Morrisons is good honest value, a genuine northern store with plenty of quality and no icing on top. I quite like ASDA for this reason too, and dare I say it, even Tesco (cringe) :)

Agree totally Louisa. And Simon M, I don't know about those items in particular. But I can get everything I need there and I'm a vegetarian with a pretty healthy, balanced diet (I eat loads of vegetables and cook most of the time - I don't eat ready meals). I think with the likes of M&S and Waitrose you really do get something special, but for me Sains is a total scam. Their fruit and veg is particularly dodgy quality-wise.

Absolute rubbish - Sainsbury's produce is way better than the other stores in this area and the organic range is much larger. For those of us that care what goes in, it does make a difference and it is not that much more expensive, you get what you pay for.

It's just a classic example of inverted snobbery - what's this rubbish about 'a good honest northern store' I've never heard such bo!!ocks. They are all out to make money whether they are appealing to the pile it high buy it cheap mentality or to the customer who wants a bit more quality.

As for ASDA don't get me started on that Walmart owned travesty.

Well we shall have to agree to disagree then! I would add that I don't think any of the big four are particularly "good and honest". But I do know that apart from the availability of certain product lines in certain areas, the actual quality is pretty much the same across all of them. However Sainsburys are a smaller operation and are struggling against the might of Tesco and Asda. Knowing that they have no real point of difference they have rebranded themselves as the middle-class supermarket. This enables them to charge more. Clever stuff, and it works.

Yes - because Tescos and ASDA (Walmart) have the pile it high sell it cheap ethos. I commented earlier that they are all out to make money and if Sainsbury does it by providing more s p e c i a l i s t items, fine by me. Anyway it's closer for me.

We shall agree to disagree.