sore hands

sunbob

yes! i have eczema anyway and this week it got so bad on my hands had to get steroid cream- i think the constant anti-bacterial handwash/dettox spray etc is not helping at all. the nurse told me not to be so OCD (not in as many words) and said to clean highchair etc just with water and make sure it's dry, and use dove or something similar rather than antibacterial handwash. Andconstantly moisturise basically.

I developed quite severe dermatitis after using antibacterial gels at work (not helped by a trip to Africa where we had to wash up the plates in dettol) and would reiterate the advice of Belle - use soap and water rather than anything stronger when handwashing. When it was really bad I basted my hands in E45 overnight and then covered them with a pair of light cotton gloves (the sort you wear as liners for thicker gloves) which helped loads.

Hi, I sympathise. My hands get really really bad in the winter with the cold to the point where the skin cracks and bleeds. I wash with a natural soap made with oils (or when living in Italy where Aveeno brand readily available I used their oat cleansing bar - very gentle indeed) and then smother with as much cream as possible at regular intervals. When going to bed I put some really oily balm on them followed by intensive hand cream and that seems to help. Amazing how quickly such greasy stuff sinks into my parched skin!

Mine get really bad too, to the point of cracking and bleeding - my GP prescribed me a huge container of emollient cream which I always use after washing my hands (you can also get it over the counter) which has helped hugely, also try to avoid washing your hands in cold water and always wear gloves when out in this weather. My hands have been MUCH better this year, still a little dry but not red and sore at all.

I really struggle with sore hands too - they get so bad that it stings when I have to put my hands in water. I do my best to put cream on at every opportunity, although I have to hide the handcream otherwise the kids get hold of it (never a good thing when all is quiet in the next room and when questioned a 3 year old says "I'm just putting some handcream on my sister Mummy"), and when it's out of sight I then forget to use it.

Gone are the days of my weekly manicure when I worked in the city!

I've started using Flexitol Heel balm on my hands after a couple of days they are looking so much better. Great to use at night. The heel balm has 25% Urea, their hand cream only 10%. Not sure if there are any issues with using Urea if you are pregnant etc though

Or if you are feeling really adventurous........ try "Bag Balm". Just google bag balm uk (I suck at posting).

It's veterinary grade balm for cow udders etc.. It's amazing.

If you remember dry cracked nipples from breastfeeding one baby, imagine what happens to a poor cow's nipples!

edited to add: I'm not suggesting you put it on your nipples! (Unless of course you feel like it, then fill your boots!). Just that if it can soothe those poor cows then think of what it can do for your sad old mommy hands.

LOL Helena Handbasket - my hubby brought me a huge tub of Bag Balm back from America, didn't know you could get it over here. It is great stuff (for hands)!

I too have ended up with sore hands during first year or so with each baby, and eczema started up under my rings, due to all the handwashing etc.

I think if you can use handcream as much as possible - keep tubes all over the house, and try also to put lots on a bedtime, with white cotton gloves over the top if need be, it really helps (even if you do feel a bit silly).

Molly

Yes me too, since birth of my son my thumbs have cracked open, so sore! I have now started to wear rubber gloves for all the baby gear washing but you can't wear them doing baths etc. I have found some moisturising anti bac wash liquid. I do worry that if the anti bac stuff or handcream gets into baby's mouth that might be a problem tho?

Yes... gone are the days of shortish but elegantly filed nails with subtle, thin line, natural look French tips. Instead, you're washing up all day and cutting your nails with toenail clippers because you're too busy to even file them (at least that was my life until my baby was 3 months old). I never ever have moisturiser on my face (super easy skin) and used to never wear handcream either for the same reason. Face is still ok, hands look like those of an unlucky 60 year old now. And ouch the cracks in my fingertips.

Washing up gloves helped (also when using Milton wipes and other surface wipes). And not using hand sanitiser all the time when out (instead, avoid touching what you don't want to touch as much as possible). And... the Dutch version of Bag Balm, called udder salve. An even more charming name ;-) For the cracks, I find relief in putting a plaster on slightly too tightly. Thing is you need to change it every time you wet your hands again.

Baaah

Just wanted to say thanks you for this thread. :)

My hands have been so sore and cracked this winter and no amount, or brand of hand cream was working.

Thanks to the posts on here, I have managed to sort it out, by regularly rubbing my hands with emulsifying ointment (which is similar to aqueous cream) and wearing rubber gloves whilst washing up.

My hands are so much better now. Xx