Weather issues in East Dulwich - Schools, Transport...

Mark

Trains from H.O.P. running pretty much as normal.

Burst water main on Rye Lane.

Side roads sheet ice - get in a high gear and be gentle with the pedal prodding!

Cat litter can indeed substitute for salt.

Buses making it in a ginger fashion up Forest H Rd.

Dear all

As you can appreciate the weather is really bad, during the day when they were clearing snow it became a wasted exercise as snow kept falling. Last night I had teams out at 1am and 4am to clear as much ice as possible, the problem that I have even after clearing is that it keeps re freezing, causing even more problems. I have just requested some special ice melt substance which my team have just picked up and they are currently going around the routes checking all stations. In addition to trying to run a service my platform staff are also trying to clear as much of the ice as possible. Trust me we are doing all we can to ensure your safety when entering the stations

In relation to the "Southern Journey Checker" I can now confirm that the feed comes from NRE (national rail enquiries)from a base in Leeds to all Train Operating Companies. It has been confirmed that the cables have been severed and they are currently working connecting a new IP Adress at Doncaster so this service can resume, unfortunately this will take some time.

The latest updates from our control centre is that a near normal service will run for the entire day for London Bridge/Victoria Metro, ie Battersea, West Norwood, Dulwiches etc, agian Sussex Coast services from Brighton/Victora are severly disrupted and have many many cancellations and delays.

Those planning to travel to other areas of the country ie someone mentioned Cardiff, I would check with the relevant train operating company for information

London Bridge, will run a near normal service right throughout the evening however for those using Capital Connect (Tulse Hill, Streatham) please be aware they have many cancellations and lastly SouthEastern services from London Bridge this evening will start to run the sevices down from 2000hrs

Again accept my apologies on behalf of Southern Railway for the inconvenience and issues being faced.

Regards

Barry Jones

Station Manager

Streatham Hill Area/London Bridge

hubby just rang to say he got to work fine on bus, 176 and 185 running fine, only thing is its running really slow(25mins from harvester to dulwich station)once he got past dog kennel hill seemed to run as normal. the p13 might be having problems as he said he saw one crash into a bus shelter as he was going through dulwich. tried to pull in at bus stop and it didnt stop!

SMBJones Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dear all

>

> As you can appreciate the weather is really bad,

> during the day when they were clearing snow it

> became a wasted exercise as snow kept falling.

> Last night I had teams out at 1am and 4am to clear

> as much ice as possible, ...

.... Again accept my apologies on behalf of Southern

> Railway for the inconvenience and issues being

> faced.

>

> Regards

>

> Barry Jones

> Station Manager

> Streatham Hill Area/London Bridge

All I can say to you and your team is well done and it is all much appreciated. And once again, no need to apologise, you didn't invent snow and ice! :))

Had a nightmare journey determined to get in this morning. Got 2 buses from ED to Peckham Rye station to avoidd slippery ice (as I'm pregnant) then at Peckham Rye, I had 3 trains cancelled one after the other. At this point, I gave up to work from home! I think there was a broken down train which explained why almost every train was cancelled coming in to PEckham Rye. If you're in Victoria looking to get back to Peckham Rye tonight, I'd leave plenty of time in case the trains haven't sorted themselves out

Barry

Appreciate all the effort you're going to to keep people updated - as has been noted on here it is impressive. Just wanted to coment though re the approches to the platforms at East Dulwich. I went for the 6:51 train this morning and the approach to the station was compacted snow that had then iced over. I know that it snowed all yesterday, but I don't think that it did overnight or this morning. I just thought that it would be worth noting that whatever the teams were doing who were out at 1am and 4am, it wasn't shovelling snow off the paths. If all they're doing is putting down grit after snow it will take a long time for the ice to clear. The slope from the southbound platform was treacherous last night so it really is important that this is addressed before the evening commute. People have noted that the paths have got slushy from people walking, but before they freeze again they need clearing or there really will be a significant risk of accidents.

Thanks again for all your work to date - and hope you can get this addressed to make East Dulwich station safer.

Kind regards

Has anyone done the 176/40 journey from Lordship Lane today? I am taking my Son to see "We will rock you" at the Dominion tonight and thought we would go by tube via Elephant and Castle or Train to London Bridge From East Dulwich and then the tube. Not sure which would be the most efficent and how long either will take?

If the roads are OK, you can get the 176 all the way to Tottenham Court Road, so from the point of view of not having to change that might be best, I usually allow an hour but depends on time of day and traffic.

Has anyone done the 176/40 journey from Lordship Lane today? I am taking my Son to see "We will rock you" at the Dominion tonight and thought we would go by tube via Elephant and Castle or Train to London Bridge From East Dulwich and then the tube. Not sure which would be the most efficent and how long either will take?

Sorry I don't know what that route is like but I thought I'd point out that some venues who don't offer refunds are because of the snow. Odeon refunded me my cinema tickets from last night so the theatre might let you change dates if you don't want to risk the snow/ice. Good luck.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Landcroft ROad is absolutely treacherous especially on the hill near to Heber, Rodwell, Pellatt. There have been quite a few accidents there already so please be careful or avoid this area completely.

Thanks for your replies everyone, I have called the theatre and the show is on so we will try and get there this evening.

Please try and avoid Crawthew Grove as lots of cars are having a lot of problems getting past the Crawthew/Worlingham Rd junction because of ice. I have just been out there helping a car roll back down the road be cause he was sliding everywhere.

I'd be really grateful if someone could let me know whether it has snowed again today and what the conditions are like on the roads / pavements?

I got stuck on a train between Brockley and HOP last night which couldn't get up the slope...took the poor train driver over 45 minutes to 'limp' the train into HOP!