Ask Admin

Mogs

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Have the smiley's gone again?

xxxxx

Looks like it :(

ETA: Oh, but one has appeared although I did a colon and a bracket rather than clicking on a smiley (as I couldn't find any ...... )

• Administrator

I'm sorry, there seems to be a problem with the Editor Tools module. It create an error message in the error log each time a message is loaded... say 15 messages on a page, 90,000 page views a day = 1,350,000 error messages written in the error log every day. That gets so big the site falls over and stops working. I don't know how to fix it and until I do then I'm afraid the Editor Tools says off the site for the good of the whole site.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Administrator Wrote:

>

> 1,350,000 error messages written in the error log

> every day.

xxxxxxx

What a nightmare!

That's put my computer problems into perspective!

ETA: Might somebody on here know how to sort it for you? There seem to be quite a few techies who post.

> "Fixing 400 errors - general"

But that's about client problems, not servers. I'm a bit surprised that you're getting an Editor Tools error report for every "message ... loaded", whatever that means. But that's said in ignorance of the system architecture. But if they are there, they might be due to a simple configuration setting error, such as a wrong path name. Wasn't the last recent glitch a configuration one? I can't remember now.

More of help, I think, would be a sample of the error reports; they could at least lead to the location in the open source code where the problem's showing itself, and possibly indicate relevant paths.

If the problem's only been around since the latest boot, it might be worth trying a shutdown and cold restart at some quiet time.

There might possibly be other quick and dirty fixes for the volume of error reports, if necessary. They boil down to ways of doing away with the error log.

Hi there

I would like to post a link to a new baby products website where people can get big discounts - can you let me know if there is a section where I can post information on this website? I am not sure and don't want to break the rules ;o)

Thanks

Otta, I just accidentally discovered that just putting the web address of the link in your post, even without any formatting, produces a link when the post goes "live".

Not sure how that happens though!

In the meantime you can still insert the BBCode tags, which is what the Editor Tools create, yourself.

There are some examples here, bbcode.org examples page, and you can check your code in Preview before posting.

Sue, that's the basic message parser. If I type just http:// it treats it as ordinary text; but if I add owt, the string gets treated as if an URL and so appears as http://owt.

ianr Wrote:

>

> Sue, that's the basic message parser. If I type

> just http:// it treats it as ordinary text; but if

> I add owt, the string gets treated as if an URL

> and so appears as http://owt.

xxxxxx

The owt being the rest of the address ie something ending in eg .com ????

• Administrator

Hi, I'll answer the techie posts when I have more time but Alan, if a business complains and requests a removal then I more than likely will. It's their business and I don't want the forum ruining local businesses because of some libellous comments.

There's loads that goes on behind the scenes here, only today I had a Herne Hill taxi company tell me I removed their advert because they're Asian. I told them to go stick their accusations somewhere but also to read the rules that say you have to be an East Dulwich business to advertise.

• 1 month later...
I've just been unable to upload a .doc file as an attachment. The system reported that it was not of an accepted file type, and that only .jpg and .png files could be uploaded. I'm not sure whether this is a system change or a consequence of its glitchy state. In this particular case it doesn't really matter; I simply copied and pasted the contents.

• 3 weeks later...

Can we have a "hall of fame" section? You could populate it with classic threads that have run their course and then lock them to allow everyone to enjoy them whenever they want.

Start it off with the Begging Bowl thread (why did that have to go? that was gold!) along with the discussion about puppies being sold and personal shopping.

It could also be useful to reference to classic subjects e.g. CPZ, M&S/Waitrose etc.