Ask Admin

Mogs

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

The title was "Jags", I thought it was about Jaguars. See posts/rules etc about making the title rather good instead of useless. And by the sounds of it it's a discussion about fees and nothing to do with East Dulwich so should probably go in the Lounge, I'll go have a look and move it if necessary.

Consider this the whinger's corner.

Alan Medic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would have thought the forum was big enough

> already to accommodate your whinging Laddy.

Could we also have a corner for Smart Alans please Admin?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Sorry to everyone. Despite my best attempts at finding the Aquarius Festival thread, I couldn't locate it, and as a previous thread had been removed without warning for violation of the Subject content, I assumed in a moment of paranoia that a similar fate had been met by the current thread. It is still there, as has been kindly pointed out.

My previous message was entirely inappropriate. I really am sorry.

I should have gone to specsavers.

Brian

• 4 weeks later...
In the business section you wrote something about Kev the plumber and fake posts. You then gave some tips as to what to watch out for. However, you ended it by saying if you spot someone recommending themselves please report it. On first reading I took that to mean 'advertising' themselves but thought that was ok up to a point. Do you mean something else Admin?

'Recommending' themselves differs from 'advertising' themselves:

So let's say local business person starts a thread and posts... "Hi, I am Alan and would like to offer my services as a local plumber/cat sitter/cup cake baker." That's advertising what he can do for you.

Then Alan either posts on the same thread or starts a new one (likely using - shock horror - a different name such as Mrs Trellis)

"I have been thoroughly impressed with Alan's ability to sort out leaking taps/feed little Thomas Honey Fluffykins/bake lilac frosted vanilla sponges for Aphrodite's 4th birthday party. I will be using Alan's services again and I recommend that you use him too." Signed Mrs Trellis (really, Alan). That's recommending yourself, naughty naughty.

[Disclaimer: all names have been changed for reasons only known to me.]

Regarding Kev the plumber, I'm not saying it's cool to cheat, and put fake recommendations up, but it's only a guy trying to get himself some work.

I think " Please do not use a business who has to

lie to get work from you." is really harsh, being as we're talking about a person's livelihood.

It's not like he's robbed all his customers, or kidnapped a child or anything!

Just my opinion, but I think deleting the offending posts, and banning him would have been a reasonable response, rather than actively trying to convince people not to use his services.

• Administrator
If he had robbed a robbed all his customers, or kidnapped a child I would have reported him to the police, not simply put up a warning to people not to use him. And if you think lying to get business is ok so that someone can "get himself some work." that is your opinion but it is illegal and I don't want it on the forum.

• Administrator
Apologies, it sounded like you were saying I should give him some slack for being dishonest to get himself some work. You know I can be quite harsh and have zero tolerance towards those who break the fake posting rule on the forum, but maybe you've missed the previous occasions where I've shown people up.