Ask Admin

Mogs

Yah, but, you, like, changed your name. Therefore you, like, not good. Right? Or is it just other people who shouldn't change their name?

Not picking a fight, just not quite understanding. Actually, perhaps your reasons for changing your user name weren't flippant and I have no idea about that. But quite a few people have done it without comment(one in particular I think did it because he still owes me two burgers), and it seems that it's ok for some people but not for all?

So if you changed your name weekly and so did everyone else it would have no impact on the forum? I understand that changing a user name needed to me authorised by Admin. I certainly asked permission. I don't understand how one particular user can have changed his name with justification several times in such a short space of time i.e. rubsley

• Administrator
Yes, I have to flick on the 'allow people to change their username' facility as I cannot change individuals usernames myself. It's usually when someone has used their real name by mistake and would like to have a user name instead. Sometimes the facility does get left on for a longer than necessary and some may take advantage of that.

• Administrator

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Admin,

>

> Wonder if you can clear something up for me. How

> political are politicians allowed to be on here?

> Sounds a daft question, but I feel that recently

> some lines have been crossed and it's making me

> really uncomfortable about abuse of a position of

> perceived authority.

>

> I know that around the election last year there

> was a whole debate about who could post what

> politically - what was the upshot? If I'm being

> unnecessarily prissy then I'll hush up.

>

> Thanks.

Hi RosieH

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I forgot. So "How political are politicians allowed to be on here?"... in discussions about politics they are allowed to be as political as they want however when their replies should just be factual then I would rather they leave it out as it's annoying and discolours the neutral and independent flag that the forum flies. I don't know about the specific comment(s) in question but 'electioneering' and 'point winning' comments are a habitually sprinkled into political speak by candidates, sometimes they do get a bit carried away however I have recently had a quiet word with someone to leave the politics out of it.

I hope that answers your question, please do send me a link to the comment in question if you would like me to look into it further.

• 3 weeks later...

Admin never makes it out from Forum Towers so I'm usually the face of the forum. The meet ups are unofficial get togethers that are organised by the users, not by the management so there's not always someone there from the forum team.

Ask your people to drop me PM and we'll hook up.

• 2 weeks later...

We are moving to north dulwich and thought I'd checkout some things on west dulwich forum - a common refrain seems to be check on east dulwich forum before you even ask a question. The boards are also really quite. You have considered merging East and West to have one forum?

Z

Greetings Forum Owners,

My question is about deleting one's own posts:

.. I have been trying this evening to delete some of my failed posts ( on the Barking Dog Thread) and when you press Edit

and get the option to Cancel. A message comes up saying that your post has been deleted but when I return to the forum it is still there...

If you could add a line or two about deleting one's own posts in the FAQ I would be grateful

• Administrator

Hi Zaardvardlk, no chance of them merging I'm afraid, the other one maybe quite but that's West Dulwich, merging them would be a logistical nightmare; reassessing boundaries, changing titles, merging threads etc.

Hi Heart108, it is not possible to delete your own messages. The Cancel button is referring to the action of editing the post, so "do you want to cancel editing this post?". If I get time I will add it to the FAQ (which needs a big update anyway).

Hi Admin: thanks for clarifying and thanks to mockney piers for suggesting a way to nullify one's content

Another question to Admin: I am just curious about why my posting of the the cartoon on the Dog Barking thread was deleted. I went to some trouble to post what I thought was a hilariously apt cartoon..

[ For the record it was Brant Parker and Johnny Hart's 'Wizard of Id'

Block one: The King is lying in bed at night kept awake by a loudly barking dog. He calls:

'Guard!! Find out whose dog that is and shoot him!'

Block two: The Guard comes into the King's bed chamber and says: "You want me to shoot a dog?!!!"

Block three: The King replies: "Him too!" .... :)

• Administrator

Hi

It was probably deleted because during one of my 'sweeps' of the forum for irrelevant content I saw it, and instead of moving the whole thread to the Lounge I decided to delete your post. I get a bit precious about the ED Issues section sometimes and I try to keep things on topic and of relevance to ED.

Hello,

I have posted an ad on your forum some time ago and now I have realized that when my name is googled it leads to my cv on the forum and shows everyone my contact details. Is there any chance you could remove the attached file with my cv???

Regards,

Dominika

Hello there

Do you know of any photo streaming sites that allow you advertise your items for sale?

I posted in the For Sale section yesterday with a link to a Flickr account as I had lots of items and didn't want to clog the boards - but I've just had an e-mail from FlickR this morning saying you can't use the site for commercial purposes....

Other than posting a pic of each item individually, do you have any other ideas?

Thanks

AC x