Ask Admin

Mogs

> Hope that clears this important matter up!

There really was no need for the sarcasm. My query was a genuine one, because I care about this forum.

As far as I am aware, the owner of this forum has - up until now - been keen to receive feedback/suggestions vis a vis his forum. If this situation has changed, then perhaps you could let me know.

> If you read the regulations of the Wanted section

> it does say that all "Lost/Found" items should be

> posted in there. I believe the thinking behind it

> was that lost pets/gloves/whatever would be

> "wanted" by their owners and more things would be

> lost rather than found - so that's where they

> should really go.

PS: with due respect, I believe you are rather missing the point. The fact that posters are having difficulty knowing where to post such items, and/or are placing them in the incorrect section, suggests to me that - perhaps - the time has come for a re-think.

DC: your comments prompted me to re-check the Forum's "Terms of Use". Inter alia, they include:

Please give us feedback and tell us your thoughts on this forum (otherwise we won't know). We would really like it if you told us you didn't like something or if something doesn't work or you think it's great...

But then, as a moderator, you knew that - yes?

Your comments also provoked me into viewing the "regulations of the Wanted Section" a further time. Incidentally, by those, I presume you meant the section entitled "Advice about using this Wanted section"? I have reproduced the latter here:

Advice about using this Wanted section.

Posted by: Administrator 29 July, 2009 21:24

If you are posting anything to do with family, children, babies etc please use the Family Room classifieds instead

If you want a tradesman or business please use the Local businesses, restaurants & trades section

When you post a message please make it descriptive and put:

Wanted

Looking for

Advice wanted on

or similar in the in the subject/title. E.g. do not put "Boxes" when "Boxes wanted" or "Removal boxes wanted" would be better.

It makes life easier for other users and means the right people are more likely to read your message.

The most frequently broken rules which result in the removal/editing of ads:

- Do not type the subject title in capital letters

- There has to be a connection to East Dulwich e.g. Someone from Madrid offering their holiday villa in Madrid gets deleted.

- Do not repetitively post about services offered

- Do not bump up posts for no reason other than to get it back to the top of the list (when 14 posts did this in one day we decided it was not right).

- Please try and keep this area East Dulwich specific.

Please refer to the Terms of use [www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk] for more.

Thank you.

--------------------

The Administrator

Help & FAQ's - Terms of use

You stated a few posts back: "If you read the regulations of the Wanted section it does say that all "Lost/Found" items should be posted in there". I have to say, I cannot see this. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong section? In which case please could you direct me to the correct place.

Furthermore, I came across this (on the "The Help / Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page"):

12) I think the forum should have this section/widget/colour etc to make it better / there's a mistake should I bothered to tell you?

Please tell us, the world and this forum don't improve if we decide to do nothing about it. We love to hear what you think.

Frankly, I am unsure where else to look.

Indeed I can direct you LadyM. If you'd be so obliging as to direct your interweb browser to the front page of the forum you will see the following:

Wanted in East Dulwich...

If you want items locally ask for them here. And lost and found items go here too, including cats.

We tried to put it in a more obvious place but couldn't think of one.

The forum and the admin team appreciate your concern for all the lost items that may not have found their homes without you.

DC/Sean - a suggestion re my blog so we don't need to bother admin.

Could I go on to the thread one more time, tell them there's an update and that, quite fairly, I can't keep bumping up the thread etc, so would those who said they wanted an update PM me and then I'll be able to update them individually, and then I will leave it at that. That way I can keep hold of those readers who said they wanted an update and were expecting it on the thread, but won't bother admin or be unfairly favoured.

Sound fair? I really don't want this to turn into a hassle for anyone and I do know there's a history to this kind of "advertising" and don't want all that to cause bother again.........

Dear Admin

This morning we had a very few posts from regular EDF members about the fact that a certain individual had been sending PMs of a kind to them (insulting in my case, but I didn't mention that or indeed contents of PM - but still the post was deleted).

So, said posts were deleted. So a certain re-writing of history.

The said poster's posts had already been highly criticised on a certain thread. In my view unsurprisingly.

Is it not possible to criticise (unpleasant) stuff that lands uninvited by PM from someone who does not even live here? Alternatively, can I not filter out EDF PMs from t***ers?

Just askin'.

No Sean, I am referring to another moderator's reply to a post of mine. Unfortunately, the response causes me to hit flashpoint as I believe it is unnecessarily sarcastic and patronising. Regrettably, the matter then escalates into a mini thread of its own (approximately 16 posts). It saddens me to bring this up, but I am not happy about the situation. I would also say that I am not proud of my own reaction here.

Anyway, here is the post which sets off the whole sorry episode (it all starts on page 17, ultimately intensifying and spilling over onto page 18):

Re: Ask Admin

Posted by: Ladymuck January 30, 08:09PM

Interesting comment Narnia...I've just had a "found mitten" (posted in "GE" section) re-directed to the "Wanted" section. Seems a bit weird...I mean, I don't understand the logic. Funny really, because for a little while I had lost the very mitten that I had earlier found (if you get my drift...ah never mind...).

Anyway, I am wittering away here, when all I am trying to say is: perhaps it is time for a Lost/Found Section to be set up?

Thanks as always Admin.

PS: no hurry DC.

Ladymuck Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Has it now become acceptable for a moderator to

> behave towards a poster in an incredibly

> patronising and sarcastic manner (for no apparent

> reason)?

I wasn't aware it was ever unnacceptable. Are there some rules I missed somewhere?

This is where grown-ups play, LadyM.

If you insist on using this tediously self-conscious "girlish" silliness and imagine you won't occasionally have your bubble of self-importance pricked then perhaps this isn't the environment for you?

The fact that you now have to air your laundry in public speaks volumes. If you were that upset you could have PM'd me and I might have relented. But now....?

I used sarcasm because you were complaining about something trivial that was clearly signposted. You didn't "get" my light hearted response which mocked your inability to read the front page of the forum you "care about" and instead you began to resemble a dog with an indigestible bone. And lo....it came to pass that you have now regurgitated the entire saga two days later.

Attention seeker? Moi?!

LadyMuck

in the context of wider discussion I thought the mod's signoff of "Hope that clears this important matter up!" was cheekily but good-naturedly sarcastic and intended to fit in with the sort of humour one often reads in your posts. Why you hit a flashpoint over it I can't say - I've reread it several times now, I don't see any problem with that post at all - I don't know why it warranted 3 successive responses from you. But requoting endless sections isn't going to help anyone. PM me if you like

My suggestion is drop it for now and Admin will deal with it on his return. As for Lost & Found, I'm 99% sure it is coming so please hold tight