Ask Admin

Mogs

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Admin,

Is it just or me, or is the thread entitled "Previously The Uplands ..." in the General ED Issues/Gossip section, nothing more than one long promotional thread about a forthcoming business venture from someone (possibly the owner?) very strongly connected to The Bishop?

And, even though The Bishop is a much-loved ED business, how come "Scott" is allowed to post repeatedly about his plans for the Uplands premises and, in effect, conduct a continuous PR campaign for his new business for free on the Forum, when other businesses are not permitted to do so under your Terms & Conditions (from my reading of which, they are allowed one "free" mention of their business, and then that's that)?

I have no axe to grind with the OP of that thread, or The Bishop, or any of Scott's other business interests for that matter. But it seems to me to be a quite marked exception to the rule. Would be interested to hear.

• Administrator

Hi Dorothy

No reason really, it's just the end of one pub and development of a new one which people seem to be interested in (8,000+ views) and the discussion seems to be helping towards it's development, in fact the name The Actress" was chosen by someone on that thread so I admit I feel a bit of compassion towards it. Also the fact that the thread was started by someone asking about the venue to which Scott has started contributing differentiates it from a "The Actress - coming soon" promotional post.

And there's the fact that I haven't read it for ages so wasn't aware that Scott's been conducting a continuous PR campaign, but now aware I am I shall keep an eye on it.

OK, so Admin deleted my posts (again) on this thread...it was a fair cop as I was messing around (as I do).

BUT! And this is a BIG but, they have also removed a post of mine (plus that of at least four others) from the Lesbian thread in the Lounge. As far as I can tell, no forum rules were broken other than that we went off topic. However, as the thread is in the Lounge, I thought that going off topic was permitted. Has that changed? If not, then why were they removed?

This isn't a complaint...I am genuinely curious.

Yours respectfully,

Lady Grumps.

Edited following a chat with a very wise forum LadyGuru (thanks: you know who you are x)

Have a look at the terms of use again ladyM

"

The forum is administered by the Administrator who may have to step in every now and then, usually if postings are fraudulent or spam or just out of order and offensive.

- Postings that are totally irrelevant to threads/discussion maybe edited or removed because they spoil the flow of the forum.

- We also reserve the right to edit or delete postings (including signatures) for various reasons, usually the title to make it more relevant."

Most if us have had posts hidden several times. No need to get grumpy.

With due respect Sean, the posts in the thread in question did not come within the terms of use you have quoted. They were neither fraudulent, spam, or offensive etc. Nor can the section on editing/deletion apply here because the thread was in the Lounge. That is the point.

Anyway, arguing with you publicly is only going to increase my current state of grumpiness, and, in any event, such arguments are better done via PM so I shall say no more on the matter (here).

And I shall remain grumpy until such time as someone like Woof, Daizie, HAL9000, Mic Mac, Quids, Katie1997, Narnia or Huguenot make me laugh again. So there!

*does a Huguenot*

Edited following a chat with a very wise forum LadyGuru (thanks: you know who you are x)

with slightly LESS respect (not really, just a cheap Alan Partridge gag)

"- Postings that are totally irrelevant to threads/discussion maybe edited or removed because they spoil the flow of the forum.

- We also reserve the right to edit or delete postings (including signatures) for various reasons, usually the title to make it more relevant." "

both cover non-offensive posts, including in the Lounge

The Lounge is not carte-blanche to do anything you want in any thread

If I start a thread about a bereavement, it would probably be in the Lounge ? I?m well within my rights to expect people to behave with due respect in that thread. If people want to do the usual witter-fest there are enough other threads for them to do that

It clearly doesn?t bother several people that there were multiple complaints made to Admin about that thread ? so some of those posts HAVE upset people and Admin took a balanced view

I expect Said Lesbians got mildly irritated that (for the umpteenth time) a thread, simply by virtue of having the word 'lesbian' in the title, quickly began to descend into talk about hairy armpits, car mechanics and shot-putting etc etc

You can kind of see their point.

*Posted one of the Lesbian threads as well*

I didn't complain but I could see this (Lesbian) and those other threads had turned into the same puerile crap by the usual suspects. It's the same boring, sniggering infantile Carry-On style "comedy" without any shred of intelligence that puts me and I'm sure a lot of other people off these days. You know who you are