Ask Admin

Mogs

Hi Brum,

You really do misunderstand me - I was being quite quite serious. You should know that I have no problem with smut - I think many Carry On films are hilarious and I find Terry Thomas quite the thing. At times I positively embrace sexually explicit content (although the forum perhaps isn't quite the place for it). Just think the standard of smut on here is very dull, lacking both wit and any genuine sexual frisson. I rather thought that if there was a playroom for such threads, people could play away to their heart's content, without boring the rest of us. Still, I take Admin's point, and hope it won't be a triumph of optimism over experience.

And Admin, kudos on the chlamydia / orgy image - nearly wet my pants. Well I didn't, but I did laugh, and that's almost as good.

You're right Rosie, I really don't understand you or your motives... Maybe we should have another room, just for people who moan about how other people use the forum, which in my view is equally as boring! And when you say 'the rest of us', who do you mean? Forgive me, but I find your post disturbingly divisive.

So are you coming to the drinks? We can discuss our shared interest in smuttiness!

Brum x

Meh, Brum - I make a lighthearted comment on the Ask Admin thread and you choose to dissect in this manner? (er, again) Frankly I'm staggered that you'd want to have a drink with someone who's disturbingly divisive. No idea what my plans are for Friday yet, but if I'm there I'll have a drink with you.

My only motive is the forum being a fun place to hang out. When I say the rest of us, I meant the people outside the little online menage a quatre / cinq. I speak for no one but myself, but I would ask, did you actually read Admin's post?

we would prefer it to be ignored and have to retreat from the forum

I've no interest in pitched battles.

Hi Rosie

I'm pleased you have no interest in pitched battles and neither do I. I also didn't say you were disturbingly divisive. It seems that both of us are guilty of not reading posts correctly! I was commenting on your post, and nothing more. I am a bit puzzled over your reference to a clique as this forum is open to all equally. I don't consider I am part of a clique, more that I have made friends on the forum and for that I am very content. I am also really happy to drink with you, because one thing I've found is that in the flesh we are sometimes a darn sight nicer to each other than on the forum!

Hi Admin,

There used to be a thread called East Dulwich Weddings. I was going to point a friend to it for information but I can't find it anymore. I posted on it about a month ago so I've searched through my own messages as well as using the Search facility. But it seems to have disappeared. Has it been deleted?

• Administrator

Hi Izodia

just to quote a message I posted before... "Last week we had a clean up of the forum database and posts in the wanted section over 6 months old were deleted. The database was 1.4Gb in size and now it's half that and the forum's running quicker. "

I have a feeling that if the weddings one was started more than 6 months ago it would have been deleted. Sorry about that.

Ah, ok. I'd read your previous message as meaning threads that hadn't been touched for over 6 months had been deleted.

Ah well, I guess it leaves the opportunity for more up to date information to be posted. And it is good having a speedier forum.

Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...

karter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> yep there is, it's at the bottom of the page in

> each section 'mark all posts as read'

erm...karter...have you not been paying attention? As far as I understand the situation, ruffers appears to be aware of the buttons you mention...he would like to know if there is one single button for all sections (I think).

*thinks: Gawd - hope I've understood correctly*

• Administrator

Hi

Unfortunately there is not a universal "Reset all posts" button, but you can see them all in one place for each section on the home page.

There is not an ignore function however it is agreed that it would be useful. I believe it is available on the new version of the forum software but upgrading is a job which we are avoiding doing because it's scary.

ladyM, you were indeed correct and i should take more time in reading posts but just been busy of late, oh deary me. xx

the new forum version should allow posters to properly delete posts if they want to save on precious memory and keep things moving smoothly IMO.

Hi Admin

would it be useful to have a delete thread button for threads you start as for instance, if your selling something and its sold or you start a thread that you may regret or want to end because it has given you the information you need, then why leave it there? just a thought it would certainly remove a lot of excess baggage. Is that not an easy thing for you to write into the code?

hugs

easy.

karter Wrote:

> ladyM, you were indeed correct and i should take

> more time in reading posts but just been busy of

> late, oh deary me. xx

Awww karter...I should have added one of those smiley-winky-thingammyjibs...I was only teasing...huge besos XXXX

• Administrator

iaineasy Wrote:

> Is that not an easy thing for you to write into the code?

Hi

No, it is not easy to write into the code. Allowing people to delete threads stops them from being responsible for what they write i.e. if they cannot delete it then they will be more careful about what they write. However having that functionality in the wanted and offered section could be a good idea to keep it tidy. In reply to Karter's point the tiny amount of people who would delete old posts would have no effect on the memory or the smooth running of the forum.