> In the last month there have been1,827,278 page

> views

> 9:35 minutes is the average time on the Site

> Last Monday there were 2,989 unique user on the

> site (it is about 2,800 a weekday average, 2,300

> at the weekend)

Fascinating! Thanks.

Dear admin

In the last couple of days I've noticed that phone numbers are somehow being deleted from private messages I'm receiving (the last one was a phone number for a cleaner somebody had recommended). Do you know why this might be happening? I've also noticed that phone numbers are being deleted from public posts - but perhaps this is intentional?

Many thanks for investigating

I had this problem and it was related to Skype which was automatically logging in - sometimes it showed the numbers (with the Skype phone symbol beside them), other times it made all numbers disappear. Problem solved by not being logged in to Skype all the time.

There's a smartphone app, Tapatalk, which enables one to easily view and edit forums on the go. I use it on my iphone but I believe it's good for blackberries and Androids...most smartphones as far as I know. Can you enable it for the East Dulwich forum?

Admin

Would you be happy if I or someone else started a World Cup thread seperate to Football Focus? I think there'd be wider participation than if we just bung it in FF...probably not yet but neraer the big event.

Hi,

I think it will be nice to have a "How to" section were people can find useful tips about everything. Especially on "how to" upload photos on this forum as A LOT of people seem to struggle to do it.

Thanks

• Administrator

Hi

It is preferred that people attach photos to posts rather than embed them into messages as that facility tends to get abused. What I have done is change the text above the text editing box from "Attach a file ..." to "Attach a file or photo ..." to make it a bit clearer for those who struggle.

What other tips would be in the How to section? Tips on "everything" is a bit of a broad subject.

Thank you Admin, but - nope...you are going to have to rack those brains a little further.;-) I am aware of the "blue thing" when using the back button...in which case the "new" reverts to red once the forward button is used. This is different. Here, when I go to a page containing lots of little red "new" messages, I may on occasion amongst the "reds" find a blue "new" - nothing to do with going back. It could happen when I first log on. For example, one thread where this may readily be seen at present is on the "Equality" thread in the Drawing Room. It isn't really a problem (and this certainly isn't a complaint or anything). However, (a) I am curious and (b) it is a little difficult to see by virtue of the fact that it is blue.

But no matter really. Life's too short.

Hi,

I was thinking something around the lines:

How to reduce the size of your picture for publication

How to block/unblock cookies on your machine

How to convert avi to DVD

How to fix the sink

How to bake the best bread

How to lose weight (that will be interesting)

etc.

It will be another "room" for people to discuss their "how to". Anyway it is just a suggestion

Ladymuck, if you have a look at the site using the marvellous firebug, you can see that there are two relevant css classes

PhorumNewFlag {color:#CC0000} applied to, funnily enough, all the 'new' flags.

Then there is

a:visited {color:#000099}

a css pseudo class which uses the browser's knowledge of your browsing history to recolor (sic) any previously visited hyperlinks on that page in a certain colour. That is in the phorum css file edforumstyle.css, so Admin could turn it magenta or puce should (s)he so wish, but blue will suffice.

But it's not trying to anything specifically clever.

I do have a feeling however that if you've cleared down enough read messages on a thread such that the following new post is actually on page 11 when the last one you'd read (and hence where the new was previously pointing) was page 10, this is effectively an unvisited url so it'll show red again.

If you clear your history in your browser options (or visit the forum in a different browser) they will all turn magically red again too

Does that help?

Firebug is a firefox extension, rather than a browser or a website, I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

I should have said 'if you analyse the site using firebug...'

It is a tool mainly used by web developers that allow you to see Ajax calls in the background (requests, parameters and responses). To see all the script files included such as css files, to home in on HTML elements using the GUI, navigate the DOM, dynamically change much of the above and even put breakpoints into client side scripting and do value debugging. Very very useful.

This means that if you want you can change the 'new's to a puce colour, but only on your browser....and only until you reload the page.

Google* firebug, there's plenty of info out there.

*The verb 'to google', not 'google firebug'