Missing out on midwife care

I completely understand that an epidural too early is not ideal and too late is probably a waste of time but why on earth was i not given one after my consistent requests before during (every 30 mins) and after?

1) The midwife bragged to me about 'no doctors being required for all of the births the previous day'

2) I was having 3 in 10 contractions by 11pm (at which time my parnter was sent home) and i relayed my frequency of contractions to the midwifes at reception each time i walked past reception which was all the time as walking helped ease the pain.

3) I asked at reception every 30 mins or so from 11pm to 3am/4am for more pain relief

4) It was the doctor who eventually gave me gas and air and then promised me to arrange an epidural for me 'in an hours time' i.e. 3am even though it wasn't her job to arrange for gas and air

5) The doctor said i could have an epidural during my labour but this was then denied at reception when i followed it up and the doctor had left the antenatal ward and couldn't verify this promise

6) i was examied 3 times during the course of my labour in the antenatal ward. Strange that i was never within the crucial gap of 3/4cm to 9cm???

7) A ventouse was used during my delivery anyway

I have since spoken with other new mothers who had similar experiences

One was told the doctor required to do the epidural was in theatre and couldn't come for another half hour

half an hour came and went ... the doctor was in the room next door and had not been told about the epidural request and was never even in theatre..

I'm ranting and i'm angry (tired today) and i'm sorry if this comes across as moody and aggressive but I feel as though those woman who want pain relief from the off are denied it because it does'nt fit with how some midwives think we 'should' be giving birth and also i can't help feel like i was a pawn in some petty infighting between doctors and midwives.. there .. i've said it.

Poor you :'(,

I obviously don't know the details of your particular story - it would be hard to comment without full access to your notes. AFAIK there's no policy of denying epidurals to women who want them at Kings, Tommies or anywhere else, also I don't know any midwives at Kings who have a 'natural birth' agenda, though maybe there are some? I think you have to be in a room on the labour ward though before you can have an epidural & for some reason (from what you post) you weren't given a room until you were already fully dilated - so maybe this had something to do with your not getting one? Don't know of course - just musing/ trying to think of rational reasons why your labour didn't happen the way you hoped.

You post that you were examined 3 times on the antenatal ward; so I guess you'll know from those exams how far dilated you were, & at which point they should have been giving you a room on the labour ward/ epidural - you could take that issue up with Kings.

Sounds from what you post that you could do with a clear and logical explanation of the chronological sequence of events and decisions made during your labour. You might want to ask Kings for a copy of your notes and a full labour debrief from the HOM or one of the consultant midwives?

• 1 month later...

Thought I would update on where all my research (and complaining to the 'powers that be') got me in the end.

I have now transferred my care from Kings to the Crocus team running out of Mayday. We were going to go privately through The Birth Centre at Tooting however backed out of this when it was (fully) explained that as of April they will no longer offer continuous care with an allocated midwife (unless you pay ALOT more) as they are changing their pricing policy. This was not explained when we went to see them...something they have since apologised about. I have now met the midwife I have been allocated via Crocus and like her alot (she's said yes to every 'request' of mine so far !) she even visits me at home ! She will be with me from now, during the birth and post natally. Phew. How ironic that even going privately wouldn't have given me this level of care.

So, the moral of the story is complain like mad when something goes wrong, and stick to your guns !! I have to say although Kings let me down last time they have apologised and have actually been quite helpful in suggesting alternative options.

Fingers crossed I can report back in a few months and say it all went brilliantly second time around!