6 Lordship Lane (& other shop planning applications)

Nero

Asset you are hardly one to point the finger in my direction regarding snobbery! Shall I be childish and dig up some old posts on preious threads? lol

AB - we do all get along and i'm more than happy to join in a group hug. Please dont take all of this to heart!

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> there hasn't been a butchers shop

> on Lordship Lane for nearly 20 years. But please

> correct me if I'm wrong.

God is it that long? My mum used to like the one down the Health Matters region of LL, can't remember exactly which shop it was. Think it was "Dave's Butchers" (???). It was one that went out of business when Sainsbury's opened... Oh how the tides change.

Sorry if someone else had already said all this, but frankly I couldn't be arsed reading all this sh!t, it was putting me on a downer before my weekend! :-S

Louisa Wrote:

> Gentrification - the buying and renovation of

> houses and stores in deteriorated urban

> neighborhoods by upper- or middle-income families

> or individuals, thus improving property values but

> often displacing low-income families and small

> businesses.

Or

Urban Regeneration - the renovation and development of attractive properties in deteriorated urban neighborhoods by developers in partnership with local authorities thus improving property values, security and economic well being of local communities and small businesses.

Choose your views and choose your definition.

Yeah Louisa!! Share the love!

There's an old butchers next to the Plough. Still has the tiles inside. Now its a Chinese accupunture place. Wonder when that was last a butchers - anyone know?

Also, was Springers a butchers once - anyone know when that butchers last operated? Nice to know a bit about local history.

Re no 6 Lordship Lane, which estate agents want to move in? Is it empty right now? There's an NHS place still operating from one of those buildings opposite the EDT. Would be interested to know if that NHS cente will remain. Sorry if this has been discussed above, but everytime I look at new posts its about all sorts of shops and I get a bit dazed and confused. :))

>>but to take Ultraconsultancy's point, let's shift the meat/fish debate to a thread already open

>>here for example:

>>Butchers

>>and save this thread for it's original intention<<<

Excellent suggestion - and I have tried to start the ball rolling there again. But it looks as if the Louggernaut has become unstoppable here...

That's the one Keef, Dave the Butchers. If it isn't 20 years it soon will be, you're probably right though, 15 or 16 years ago. I knew a guy used to work in there who got made redundent just before Sainsburys opened. Anyway, this thread bonkers isn't it. I'm off to the quiet room for a drink.

I moved to the area in 1987 and got married in 1990. The Sainsburys site was at the time owned by Kings College Hospital. We had our wedding reception at the Griffin in Dulwich Village which was then owned by Sainsburys. About a year or so after this Sainsburys did a deal with Kings whereby they swapped grounds. Sainsburys was then built on the old Kings rugby pitch.

number 6 lordship lane is on the corner opposite Neros (and next to the florist)

bald marauder - As someone who grew up around fishmongers (my grandfather on mothers side and all of my uncles) I know a good piece of fish. Nearly all of London's fresh fish is taken to the new Billingsgate Market at Canary Wharf from all over the country and world and is then checked and double checked by the wholesalers before being put on display for the Fishmongers/Restauranters/Fish and Chip shop owners and others. The quality of the fish is second to non, and this is why trying to suggest that Moxons fish is any better than any other fishmonger in London is simply just ridiculous. Moxons may sell a more diverse range to cater for obviously better travelled and more cultured folk in ED (hu-hum), but the quality of the produce, I can assure you, is exactly the same.

Where do you buy your mouthwash from?

'do the math' - no reason to use an Americanism to be condescending Asset! I'm fully aware that there are good cuts and bad cuts of fish, but when you buy from a market like Bilingsgate the produce isnt sold unless it reaches certain standards. No such thing as a cheaper cut is sold unless it is bought in bulk by supermarkets. Mxons and Sopers both buy from the same suppliers at Billingsgate I am willing to bet. You wont admit it Asset, but the real reason you enjoy going to Moxons is because you want to feel as though you are getting something which is better than what other people get. I dont blame you of course, this sort of snobbery is usually unknowingly taken for granted in certain gentrified communities in London.

Louisa Wrote:

> 'do the math' - no reason to use an Americanism to

> be condescending Asset! I'm fully aware that there

> are good cuts and bad cuts of fish, but when you

> buy from a market like Bilingsgate the produce

> isnt sold unless it reaches certain standards. No

> such thing as a cheaper cut is sold unless it is

> bought in bulk by supermarkets. Mxons and Sopers

> both buy from the same suppliers at Billingsgate I

> am willing to bet. You wont admit it Asset, but

> the real reason you enjoy going to Moxons is

> because you want to feel as though you are getting

> something which is better than what other people

> get. I dont blame you of course, this sort of

> snobbery is usually unknowingly taken for granted

> in certain gentrified communities in London.

Louisa, you must know Asset to understand his / her life rationale so well?

I used to use Sopers - still do on occasions - but Moxon's is closer to where I do all my other shopping, has a good customer service ethic that Soper's wasn't as good with (Moxon's have advised me on cooking styles, timings and accompaniements, usually unasked - Soper's never). I certainly believe the qu ality of the fish is better - based on taste, on looks and on obvious freshness. A lot of Soper's fish was defrosted from frozen - Moxon's fish don't have that appearance or flabby texture when cooked.

And before anyone accuses me of being a yuppie - I failed the "young" and "upward" bit years ago. But I do like good food, well prsented and properly cooked.

for all our sanities sake please take the hints and take this over travelled monolgue about gentrification/EbloodyD in the great old days/snobbery discussion else where onto the relevant thread. i could bang on about how the area in south london that i grew up in got so over priced that we (my friends etc...) all moved out. i remember when waitrose 'thefarmersfriendsupermarket', yes waitrose gasp, moved in and wiped out local grocers etc... but the the new snobby trend has helped new ones open. jeeeeeez your not a londoner if you haven't experienced it and that doesn't make it good or bad it just makes it LIFE. and before you go off i know of butchers fishmongers etc... close friends and family, over many generations, that have both survived changes in this fantastic ever changing city and suffered at it's merciless growth.

does anyone actually have any hard gossip on what is going on with the empty sites?

mamafeelgood- you've lost me

Marmora Man - I dont know how many times I have to say this, but ALL fish which is brought to market in London HAS BEEN FROZEN! Next you'll be telling me that Moxons freeze their fish in a special way which Sopers do not. Good grief.