snow births

ryedalema

Hmmm - just when i thought the organisation around births around Christmas couldn't be any more logistically difficult, what with:

- what do you do with 2.5 year old daughter?

- how do you prevent hurt feelings from relatives you've asked not to visit this year (way too much hassle from rellies expecting waitress service)

- probably not having the midwife I've been seeing as she's on Christmas leave now..

the weather turns bad/treacherous. I know we should have foreseen this, but as existing monster was a July baby we don't have a bad weather contingency plan.

Has anyone else got one? Or have any tips on how to get places quickly if necessary?

I had my son in January and we hadn't even given a thought to bad weather (ignorance is bliss!)... thankfully it was fine, and I ended up booked for induction so no mad rush to hospital.

I would say that when the time comes if it looks too dangerous to drive call an ambulance, they're better equipped to deal with the conditions and it would be better to be stuck in an ambulance in snow than in a car!

Relatives are a bit of a nuisance at times aren't they?! My Christmas 3 years ago started with a stay in hospital the week before, in-laws moaning because we weren't going to see them (couldn't fly due to illness, and laughed in the face of their suggestion that we could drive to Edinburgh with me 8 months pregnant and unwell!). They came to stay with us last year (at which time I had a nearly 2 year old and a 6 month old baby) and sat on their backsides doing nothing to help the whole time - absolute nightmare when I had kids to deal with. They didn't even offer to help with the dinner, and sat making comments about how nice it was to have "time off" while Mr Pickle and I did all the cleaning up. Needless to say I was ready to kill someone by the end of it!

We're supposed to be flying to Edinburgh tomorrow morning and I am quietly hopeful that our flight will be cancelled ;-)

OMG - that sounds so similar to us. My Dad and brother were due to come down, but after a disastrous babysitting experience in late November (on our anniversary) where Dad went seriously 'victorian dad' and locked our daughter in her room as she was having a tantrum - then was totally unrepentant when we said that we didn't discipline that way saying he knew best as he was the 'patriarch' and had dealt with 'dysfunctional kids' before - we've 'suggested' that we delay Christmas until Feb/March. Our 2.5 year old still shakes when we mention his name - great!

And yes - they completely expect us to wait on them hand and foot and I'm sure they deliberately leave trails of teabag juice and sugar all over the kitchen if they have to get their own cups of tea!

Sigh - do you think there's a website where you can swap them for new ones? (Rellies that is).

My friend went into labour last night and had to go to hospital in an ambulance up the hard shoulder of the M1 with the blue lights flashing (she is in Luton). Had planned a home birth but midwife couldn't get out for snow. Exciting way to make your entrance though, and both are fine (9lb 12oz, all natural and quick - ouch!). I think ambulance is the way forward if you are in doubt?

Good luck!

(sorry, can't help with rellies, have the same problems myself).

I was overdue last February when there was snow and I live at the top of a hill! My midwife left her car at the bottom and walked up the hill for a visit. She asked me to promise not to give birth later that day or the next as it would be very difficult or impossible to get to me with equipment (I was having a home birth).She advised calling an ambulance if I did go into labour as they have snow tires and would get to me quickly...and safely.

Luckily my daughter waited another 2 days...I think it was the sledging I did in the street with my husband and 21 month old son that helped her on her way....and the weather had improved enough for the midwives to get here.

So yes - I agree regarding the ambulance.

Have you got any on call friends who could have your daughter? I made a list of all willing friends hoping that someone would be available on the day i.e not at work/not gone out anywhere.One friend had to leave Bromley half way through her shopping!

I wouldn't worry about the relatives.If they can't empathise with you then they are best left to feeling a bit hurt and I'm sure they will forget all about it upon news of your beautiful new baby.

had my baby last thursday.....woke up on the ward friday morning to see it was like a picture postcard....had to take it easy on the drive back home. I agree with the relative situation...ive had a relative ask me if im ignoring the phone when ive had a screaming baby awake from 2am-5am!?!? any possibility im trying to grab 5 mins shut eye??

yes weve had people over and muggins is always left clearing up tea cups etc....thankgod for dishwashers though...

Why do we do it eh? In our working lives we're empowered, emancipated ladies - being assertive, multitasking wonders. Then when we get back to our families (more extended than immediate) we become 1950's housewives again. Of course I don't mind it when looking after the little ones - but how do the grown ups get me doing it? I've still no clue.

My in-laws leave teaspoons all over the kitchen, it drives me MAD! They're very good at getting their own cups of tea (albeit generally moaning about "the lack of service in this hotel" as they do it) but will never offer to get one for me. Classic moments from last Christmas for me were:

- at that crucial gravy making, bread sauce making, serving up stage of xmas dinner my MIL came into the kitchen. To help? No, "I just wanted to let you know there's no toilet paper left in the upstairs toilet".

- just as I finally sit down at the table to eat dinner (baby on my knee) MIL points out she doesn't have a glass of water, and asks me to get her one from the kitchen!

If I make it through the next 5 days sane and without telling MIL exactly where to go it will be a miracle. I will be relying heavily on my old friend cabernet savignon and a couple of conveniently timed migraines :)

Parents and in-laws, don't get me started. They all turned up on day 2 after my baby was born in January. It was mid-afternoon and I still hadn't had lunch. At 4pm another 3 walked through the door and when they saw that we were trying to put together a quick sandwich announced that they hadn't had lunch yet either!!

I remember staring at the dining table and fighting the urge to crawl under there and hide.

Eww - my Dad did the same with our first, on day three. We didn't have a spare bed as my husband and I were sharing the spare room so that one of us could get some sleep. He really grumbled when we got out the inflatable bed for the living room (although he chose it when we went to buy it and it was top of the range). He also refused to wear pyjamas and woke up every time I did (wee hours of the morning) asking whether he could have a cup of tea at 3, 4, 5am!

I also found lots of toothpaste smears on my towel in the bathroom - which definitely weren't there when I did my teeth (when I actually got to the bathroom by myself).

Yeucch!

My goodness, I couldn't have coped with them being round so early after the birth of my first child! I had a strict "nobody to stay in the first 2 weeks" rule, so they came for a day when he was about a week old (they were staying with my sister in law just North of London) but that was it. It would have stressed me out too much!

When they did come to visit they bought my nephew, who was 3, and tore round the house like a lunatic (as a bored 3 year old tends to do, we had no suitable toys at that stage) wetting himself every time he set foot on our carpet. Lovely.

*chinks glass of champagne*... thank you Scotland for the snow - despite having spent the best part of the day at the airport with grumpy children I'm in a very good mood as we are safely back in East Dulwich following a delayed, then cancelled flight (we were actually on a plane at one point, but offloaded) and not attempting the journey tomorrow. Here's to a Christmas without the mother-in-law >:D

Well - i did get my ambulance dash in the end. Little Cassie arrived at 3pm Wednesday afternoon amidst much drama as I was rushed through A&E - hello Senior Nurse Jenny btw - the third time we've met in a month (what a family eh?).

What an incredible experience - those ambulance drivers should be doing F1!

I just wanted to thank all the midwives at The Lanes - especially Becky, Mary, Sophie, Erica and Vanessa (and Steffi - welcome back!) You all do an incredible job and I know we all (and especially Cassie) thank you for getting her into the world safely.

And of course all the staff at Kings - who unceasingly care for us nightmare drama queens while keeping calm, professional and dignified (my dignity went to the four winds as I was sprinted through A&E with my tush in the air shouting 'the head's out' etc). Sorry for all who got an eye full!

And thank you to the lady who got shoved out of her room as Cassie was propelled across the delivery room approximately a minute after we got in there. I hope you eventually got your breach sorted you poor thing!

And thank you to my husband who was obviously shaken (not stirred) but kept it together enough to ask the ambulance people to untrap my fingers from the gurney - I'm glad I still have those, that's a bonus.

And last but not least thank you to our neighbours who looked after 2.5 year old as all plans for childcare fell on their a**e.

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone! I'm now going to put my feet up (being marvellously guest-free this year) and get p**sed!

Ho Ho Ho! (PS - Santa's been!)

• 2 weeks later...

BellendenBear Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Parents and in-laws, don't get me started. They

> all turned up on day 2 after my baby was born in

> January. It was mid-afternoon and I still hadn't

> had lunch. At 4pm another 3 walked through the

> door and when they saw that we were trying to put

> together a quick sandwich announced that they

> hadn't had lunch yet either!!

> I remember staring at the dining table and

> fighting the urge to crawl under there and hide.

BB they were angels compared to your mother's behaviour