What has happended to the shop nect to cab office on Northcross Rd

Anterior Trading was a very good Eastern furniture & nick-nacks shop. The bloke who ran it used to import stuff from Bali and Thailand and thereabouts and always had interesting & individual things in - I've got a good portion of my birthday/christmas pressies from there for the last two or three years. Apparently (according to the bloke who ran it anyway) it was the first alternative/unusual/trendy/whatever shop to open on North Cross Road and he has watched the strip become boutique-land around him over the past 15 years or so.

He said he was forced to shut up shop because of a massive rent hike which made it uneconomical to continue. Apparently, the same happened to the picture-framing shop a few doors up. I think it's a real loss to the area - every time I had a present to buy, I'd pop into ED & Grace&Favour & the other one on the corner to have a look, but always end up getting something better (and often cheaper) from Anterior.

• 5 months later...

i believe its to be another baby and childrens shop ....yawn

however just to be pedantic i believe the true pioneers of ncr and maybe east dulwich ? were the blue mountain ...followed by the grace and favour which used to be a cafe and a shop . then came willow ,then thai corner ,then anterior trading and then ED when ncr was up and running as a popular street..we used to have red chilli pizza and a key cutting shop where stella b and fresh flower are .in my opinion at never hit the spot they never changed their stock or displays thought im sure there were people who loved it .i just felt it was rather dated .the rents can never be put up beyond market retail per square footage rates in any given area .there is always the right to appeal .lordship lane used to be far less intersting than ncr something which has rapidly changed ,with green and blue moo too le chandelier and the 'chains '

im of the opinion its all good

Anterior Trading never seemed to get new stock or change anything, I would have bought stuff there if they'd been a bit more adventurous cos I'm an old hippy, but I'm not suprised it closed down because if you're not going to be on-trend you have to have really good stuff - and they just didn't.

But SURELY not another b****y maternity/baby shop ?!?!?!?!?!?!

ratty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Excellent - another baby shop! People do have babies ya know!

But some people don't have babies ya know!

Why do parents always get so defensive about these comments? Surely even if you do have babies, there are other shops you'd like to see so that you can go and not think babies for 5 minutes?

>:D<

Please don't take my comment above as anti baby or anti parent, I plan to join the ranks sometime...

It does bug me though when parents bite the heads off of people that don't care for babies or parenthood. They are just as entitled to an opinion even if they haven't reproduced.

I was sorry to see the demise of Anterior Trading. Although the stock wasn't on-trend or updated, you could always buy well-priced presents there. As for baby shops, I'm not a mother so not interested in them, but we don't have that many, do we? There's Soup Dragon and the new one near Nero, but I think that's it, so there's probably room for another.

Let's face it: shops reflect the residents. They only open up where they're going to get customers. I have to say I often feel like the only woman in ED without a baby.

I have a two year old and a few week old but am fed up with every other shop being a baby one...oh great another baby shop all we need now is another Deli and maybe one more pricey kitchen utensil type shop and my life will be complete

?????? - what shops would you like to see in ED (do some blue-sky thinking or whatever it's called)? I would love a huge book emporium with a cafe like Foyles or that huge one near UCL. It would cure my addiction to Amazon.

Totally off-topic - my post was delivered at 5:00 pm today. What kind of service is that?