Rugby matters

Narnia

RFU have said it's "too early to speculate" about rule changes. Hope they do change it, no sour grapes, well played Italy and a great idea, but it's going to get pretty dull if there's no passing back from the ruck, just a succession of thudding charges up the middle - may as well put on thirty locks and have done with it.

I don't see why they should change the law. It's not something a team would get away with very often. What made it amusing for me was England's inability to counter it. They needed half time so they could be told what to do.

Years ago when Gatland was in charge of Connacht, he tried a 15 man line-out on one occasion close to the tryline. There's got to be room to try something different in the game. I'm looking forward to whatever other animals Conor O'Shea has up his sleeve. This one was the 'fox' but he said they have others.

• 2 weeks later...

Another close game last night. Sexton seems to have been carded harshly which made a hell of a difference, as did Robbie Henshaw ruining what looked like a certain score. Wales took their chances though and deserved the win.

Today I really hope Scotland win though I wouldn't put money on it. Not (just) because it's England. I don't want the title to be won with a week to spare. If they did win they would probably be overall favourites with a home game against Italy to come. So it's a bit like a final today...

The Sexton card was way harsh and swung the whole game, but that's the way it goes. I've had my Henshaw moments - the thing to do in that case is sprint from the pitch, grab your gear and leave without showering or changing, really wouldn't have wanted to face Best after that one!

This really has been a wonderful 6N - I'm convinced the new decree on high tackles has made a world of difference, so many more offloads and open running. Last night showed that the game can still be utterly brutal but open. May be my imagination but there seem to be fewer head injuries too.

Roll on this afternoon!

• 3 weeks later...

That's ace AM. That would be a great trip to be on...

Will settle for early KO's here - wonder if any hostelries will be opening up with a breakfast and pint deal. The Mag some years ago was great fun getting in early and having a few pints before noon. Weird walking down LL at that time half jaked!

Alan Medic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Makes a nice change from fans being ripped

> off........

>

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39418577

>

> https://www.facebook.com/events/964525040348829/

• 5 weeks later...

Alan Medic Wrote:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL_IHflsD1k

>

> Best individual try I've seen in a long time from

> last week-end. The new BOD maybe. Last angle in

> the clip is probably the best to appreciate it.

Enjoyed watching that. He certainly the closest to something like BOD so far - but as Jonny Wilkinson said on tv recently when comparisons with Ringrose were suggested - "there will only ever be one of Brian" and he said that in front of BOD himself.

It'll be like George Best - they'll still be looking for the next one in 50 years time.

Gorgeous - I would have included this one though:

Passing to himself - reminds me of W.G.Grace who apparently went rushing after a skier someone had hit off him, pushing a fielder out the way to catch it himself - "That chap," said the other batsman,"won't be happy until he's keeping wicket to his own bowling."

Mick Mac Wrote:

> BOD's top 5 moments, as judged by the Aussies

>

>

As an Aussie, I was still living down there when the lions came in 2001, and we'd heard tales about this young Irish number 13 being the business. Of course we'd heard many tales of wonderful home nations players who were proved to be myths after a tour down south. So we all knew he'd get a reality check.

Well didn't we all eat our words. And pretty quickly too in the first test. Without doubt my favourite number 13 of all time. I can't say favourite centre, as Timmy Horan has the 12 jersey locked down in my dream team.

Ah, Tim Horan. I remember in the early 90's before rugby was professional travelling from Brisbane with the Queensland team on board. They were on their way to the Super 10(?) final in South Africa. All the players including Tim were at the rear of the plane. I was lucky enough to sit next to two of them, Peter Slattery and Garrick Morgan. They were drinking beers all the way to whereever it was we had to change flights. Having struck up a conversation with them soon after lift off, they plied me with drink every time they were having another one. Anyway, back to Tim. I vaguely remember Slattery telling me that Tim was either dim/mad/or something else. This extract from a book had a story by Michael Lynagh when he introduced Tim to Venice. It sort of confirms it.....

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Rvfa5F9bHv4C&pg=PT179&lpg=PT179&dq=tim+horan+on+venice&source=bl&ots=fDmuwmZc_D&sig=NIM-AIT-41QPFM68pSIK8ZQbp6I&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFiqjGmcnTAhVhIMAKHfwRBBkQ6AEIRDAD#v=onepage&q=tim%20horan%20on%20venice&f=false

Alan Medic Wrote:

> Ah, Tim Horan. I remember in the early 90's before

> rugby was professional travelling from Brisbane

> with the Queensland team on board. They were on

> their way to the Super 10(?) final in South

> Africa. All the players including Tim were at the

> rear of the plane. I was lucky enough to sit next

> to two of them, Peter Slattery and Garrick Morgan.

> They were drinking beers all the way to whereever

> it was we had to change flights. Having struck up

> a conversation with them soon after lift off, they

> plied me with drink every time they were having

> another one. Anyway, back to Tim. I vaguely

> remember Slattery telling me that Tim was either

> dim/mad/or something else. This extract from a

> book had a story by Michael Lynagh when he

> introduced Tim to Venice. It sort of confirms

> it.....

>

> https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Rvfa5F9bHv4C&p

> g=PT179&lpg=PT179&dq=tim+horan+on+venice&source=bl

> &ots=fDmuwmZc_D&sig=NIM-AIT-41QPFM68pSIK8ZQbp6I&hl

> =en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFiqjGmcnTAhVhIMAKHfwRBBkQ6AEI

> RDAD#v=onepage&q=tim%20horan%20on%20venice&f=false

Superb - reminiscent of Robert Benchley's telegram to New Yorker editor Harold Ross: "Arrived Venice. Streets flooded. Please advise."

Mick Mac Wrote:

> That try deserved more than 4 points.

There's an interview with Spike Milligan which, sadly, doesn't seem to be on youtube, where he says they should build a cathedral at the point he catches the ball inside the 22 and another at the point he touches down - it is one of the touchstones.