Rugby matters

Narnia

The Metro has a predicted Lions 15 today. 8 Welsh 5 Irish 1 Scot and 1 English (Tuilagi, born in Samoa)

chip chip ...

1 Cian Healy (Ireland)

2 Richard Hibbard (Wales)

3 Adam Jones (Wales)

4 Donnacha Ryan (Ireland)

5 Alun Wyn Jones (Wales)

6 Sean O?Brien (Ireland)

7 Sam Warburton (Wales, capt)

8 Toby Faletau (Wales)

9 Mike Phillips (Wales)

10 Jonathan Sexton (Ireland)

11 Tim Visser (Scotland)

12 Manu Tuilagi (England)

13 Brian O?Driscoll (Ireland)

14 George North (Wales)

15 Leigh Halfpenny (Wales)

Oh, hadn't spotted Ryan. No way. Parling/Launchbury/Gray/Hamilton all had better tournaments.

No8 is a problem position. Best in the Premiership for second season running is Nick Easter but if he's not playing internationals is he in the running? He plays Heineken Cup which is on the same level in the knock out stages.

Gatland etc. are going to look at the HC later stages.

On the Welsh angle would have liked to see Ryan Jones going - but he won't now

I'd think.

A bit of talk in Wales that Rowntree perhaps shouldn't criticise Adam Jones too

much if he intends to play him at 3.

Captain shouldn't be a Welshman if Wales make up the largest contingent IMHO.

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh, hadn't spotted Ryan. No way.

> Parling/Launchbury/Gray/Hamilton all had better

> tournaments.

>

> No8 is a problem position. Best in the Premiership

> for second season running is Nick Easter but if

> he's not playing internationals is he in the

> running? He plays Heineken Cup which is on the

> same level in the knock out stages.

Edited to say that these selections are strange as selected before autumn but have left them in case of interest in how things have changed....

The Gavin Hastings Lions XV: 15. Lee Byrne, 14. George North, 13. Brian O'Driscoll, 12. Jonathan Davies, 11. Tim Visser, 10. Jonny Sexton, 9. Danny Care, 8. Nick Easter, 7. Chris Robshaw, 6. Stephen Ferris, 5. Courtney Lawes, 4. Richie Gray, 3. Adam Jones, 2. Matthew Rees, 1. Joe Marler

• 3 months later...

You would say it's not his fault

But the same stuff happens - Ospreys, Saracens, Toulon, Cardiff, Bath

All was well at London Welsh - except they got relegated :(

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Gavin Hensen gets punched (knocked out) in a bar

> by one of his new teammates.

>

> http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/gavin

> -henson-video-shocking-moment-5075514

• 2 months later...

I've been following this closely.

My sympathies are torn. I completely understand the Anglo-French argument that the Italo-Celtic teams get an easy ride due to lack of relegation and automatic qualification.

But as a fan I'd be gutted not to see teams from Wales, Ireland and Scotland (less so Italy) compete in a European cup.

Perhaps only the top 8 from the Rabo should be entered or relegation introduced with a second tier Celtic/Euro league. At least then there would be a threat of relegation. Although at the moment that would just probably be Treviso and Zebre so not improving the problem of the other teams resting players for league games.

It's basically about money though isn't it, with BT offering a huge TV deal. In Ireland the provinces are subsidised by the IRFU and as a result they dictate how often contracted players play. As a result they are used sparingly in the league but not the HC. The English and French clubs don't have that luxury.

The qualification issue for the HC is valid, but so too is the idea of expanding the game in Europe, and to exclude the Italians would not help their development. It must have been a first but both Zebre and Treviso won last week-end.

Whatever happens, an Anglo French cup would not be as appealing as the current HC, and would certainly lead to the the departure of the better players to France & England (those who haven't already gone).

I didn't know that was the proposed schedule. As per usual the players would have to be released for internationals so the clubs would be weaker during that period. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me if they are inviting the Celts and the Italians into the new event how they could complete an event in a matter of weeks (even without them).Rugby players can at most play two high intensity games in a row. I think everyone agrees the HC and 6 Nations are of higher intensity than club matches. It also doesn't make sense in respect of the broadcaster investing so much money in something that lasts for such a small part of the season.

I don't doubt what you've written but where did it come from?

• 1 month later...
Looked like a good performance from England today from the little I saw. Watched Ireland however and it was just about the most abysmal display I have seen in recent years. Outclassed by what I thought was not a great Aussie team. Dread to think what may happen against the ABs, unless they have a good improvement.

I agree on both counts. Perhaps England need a little more invention in the backs but that can come with time. Ireland were awful. It may not be a great Aussie team but they have great individual backs. My only hope is that they are saving themselves for the AB's, which is a slim hope. However it is a bigger deal than playing the Aussies as we have never beaten them....ever. We can't afford to leak soft tries with poor defensive alignment which seemed to be the case. A good deal more blood and thunder as in up and at them style is needed too. Too much thinking about it doesn't seem to suit us!