Gritting

FredCasa

HI all

Salting the roads and paths is not very effective over the medium term (i.e a day or two) it does not work in really cold weather, and it's environmentally bad; all that concentrated salt runs straight into the drains and sewers, on the first rainy day.

A better, and more communal, idea is for everyone to grab a shovel and clear their paths, streets, front doors, gardens etc together. More fun ......if you make it so!

I've asked the council officer in charge of gritting about salt bins.

Before I give the feedback I suspect as it rarely snows and stays in London salt bins are not valued by residents and tampering with them is not socially unacceptable.

Apparently, the salt bins Southwark have get stolen, used for rubbish bins, get emptied for fun outside winter time "and generally get used as play things". But that Southwark can call upon 500 people to help clear snow. I saw lots out and about in East Dulwich quiet residential streets from 7am today when I was out delivering Christmas cards. I didn't see any yesterday as they would have been working on priority 1 and 2 areas - shopping streets, around busy pedestrian areas.