Husband help needed -what would be a great gift - after birth?

Rook

Ok thanks all,

Diamonds really are a girls best friend then eh! (with massages and pies coming a close second it seems )

Keef- very brave mate hats off!

Jamma- appreciate your view but dont worry its just to help cheer her up after what I imagine will be quite a tough time,thats all. Ill be mucking in!

Helena - I bet he's gorgeous and loveable though isnt he, eh! :-)

Now you're talking, vinceayre! One that's big enough to sort of double as nappy bag if you need it to.

That's the kind of thing I would never dream of buying for myself or asking someone else to buy for me, but it would DEFINITELY be a very very very welcome gift at one of life's main milestones! Wowsers.

oh helena, I didnt get any diamonds, help, dinners or even a shower. Maybe that is why I spent the first months doing frustrated internet shopping, as I still had full pay for a few months. I spent a fortune on babyclothes that baby grew out of, I should just have bought myself some diamonds instead! I never expected a present though, and I think if my husband had given me a little ring with pink diamonds, I would have thought he was bonkers. Birth is such an extreme experience, that I think even a diamond ring seems like an twee insult. A present for "having a tough time" giving birth should be more like a whole tropical island or the Empire State Building, or a mansion in the middle of Dulwich Park. Yes, I will tell my husband that.

Well on a practical level, if you can get her a massage - maybe from one of the people who will come to your home (I have a number for a lady who does home massage and reflexology and is very good). Your entire body aches after giving birth, and then with the breastfeeding and picking baby up and down from the cot etc. So, for me a massage was ultimate luxury in the first few weeks after the birth.

On an emotional level...yes...diamonds for me too I'm afraid! I was given a beautiful solitaire diamond set in white gold to wear on a necklace after our first daughter, and then matching earings after our 2nd. My 5 year old already calls it 'her necklace' and keeps reminding me that it will be hers one day cheeky madam! I do love the fact that I had a long lasting, very personal item given to me for each of the births, that I can one day pass on to them though.

Molly

x

I am very jealous. I got nothing after either child was born. I would have loved any of the suggestions put forward.

Favourite suggestions are:

Sleep - so you take baby out for a few hours while she gets some much needed sleep (depends on your baby though - you may be lucky and get a good sleeper any way). Not just the once you need to do this lots and lots of times for it to mean something.

Personal shopper - perhaps at Top Shop. Bodies change so much post birth and you feel crap wearing maternity clothes for ages or clothes that do not fit properly.

Diamonds or jewelery - a great present to keep.

By the way I am sure she would be more than happy with you just being there and giving your unconditional support as and when needed. This was what my husband was very good at - and still is.

Also, be prepared for lots of strange emotions from her once the baby comes along and sleep deprivation kicks in.

Good point about clothes, I found it nigh on impossible to shop for clothes with a baby in tow, and you tend to reach crises point a few weeks/months after the birth were a lot of the maternity stuff is HUGE, but normal clothes still don't fit right, or are not suitable for breast feeding in.

In the end I managed to persuade a pal to go along with me and they were able to keep baby happy while I had a big trying on session. We only went to Peckham, but it felt like a HUGE treat. I found quite a few 'crossover' style tops that worked OK for breastfeeding, and had gathers across the tummy area to hide the post baby wobbly bits!

Having a few clothes I felt good in made a world of difference, so maybe the offer of a shopping trip - either without baby if you are able to do bottles, or tagging along to keep baby happy while she shops would be a nice thing too?

Molly

I was promised a Rolex while lying in Kings hours after giving birth. Three years, 9 months and another baby later, still nothing.

Whatever you do, don't just say you'll do something and then or it'll be thrown in your face every time you have a row, just as it is in our house!!!

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why give her jewellery, it's not like she's ever

> going to get to go out again.

>

> *puts on tin hat and runs away giggling*

Well not with you by the sound of it !

Ohh, even I could slap his legs, really Keef

W**F

*Stiffles knowing laugh*

Seriously though, she will need more "pots & pans" even engraved ones would be really nice

I bought Mrs W**F a new washing machine but pretended it was for myself, I do let her "Borrow it" though ( at least twice a day )

Seeing as her wooden wash board has split and the likes

Gives her more time to read the cookbooks & get inspiration, so it does

W**F