Why is St Francis Park next to Sainsbury's not locked at night?

Sue

Quote from JBARBER here

"The park is called St.Francis. It isn't owned or part of the East Dulwich Estate.

Its upkeep and maintenance including litter picking etc is provided by Sainsburys as part of a legal Section 106 requirememt for it to receive its original planning permission.

Real straight jacket as Sainsburys is not exactly the most imaginative of park operators. Unlikely we'll ever persuade them to maintain it to Green Flag status and add this as the eighth Green Flag open space in Southwark."

OK thanks.

Shall add to my very long list of things to do writing to Sainsbury's to enquire why they are not locking it at night when there is no lighting in the park.

I actually think the park is quite well maintained, and I'm a Green Flag judge, however must admit usually have other things on my mind when walking through it than Green Flag criteria .....

Glad to in the new year, but Southwark Council horticultural/park staff will be well aware of the criteria, and I am currently laid up with flu/flu-like symptoms :-$

But if Sainsbury's are responsible for this park, would there be any grounds for getting them to improve it?

I think it's quite a well designed park, clearly designed for low maintenance for obvious reasons. The main problem apart from lack of lighting at night is that the designer didn't foresee the straight "desire line" which right from the start people used to cut across the grass taking the shortest route, and has now been made into an unfortunately placed "proper" path.

Bic Basher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> > It's a potential muggers paradise with these early

> winter nights with no lighting.

xxxxxxx

Yes exactly, but according to notices at the gates it's supposed to be locked at dusk - so why isn't it?

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Frankly, Bic Basher, anyone with an ounce of common sense will walk round and not through the

> park when it's dark.

I always walk through it. I don't really think I'd feel any safer walking round the road bit. And I've also used the park at night for sky-watching during meteor seasons.

Would locking it actually have any beneficial effect? Leaving it open doesn't force anyone to walk through it. Those who want to get in if it's locked will do so anyway.