Protest re Dulwich Park early morning opening hours

Lollipop

After talking with council officers they have re stated that the official opening time for all Southwark parks that are locked is 8am. The unlocking is carried out by our grounds contractor Quadron as they are based in Dulwich Park. They arrive on site around 7.15 am which means it is possible to gain access by 7.30 am from the main gates at College Road and Court Lane. There has been no change to this arrangement.

However as detailed in the Dulwich Park Friends Newsletter, the park locks have been changed to high security padlocks. This is needed to protect the park infrastructure due to a series of break-ins at the Caf? and Quadron yard including locks going missing. This was decided in consultation with the Friends.

Since that newsletter was published a number of residents have approached the park manager revealing that they have keys to the gates and were letting themselves into the park before opening. Clearly not equitable.

Some residents would like to access the park earlier in the morning. In response to this officers will ask the contractors to quote for an earlier service and review the situation based on the budget available. If Dulwich were to open earlier we would need to fairly apply this policy to all our major locked parks, and to adher to safe working practices this could only be possible in the lighter mornings from April to October.

Any questions, observations, concerns let me know.

Thanks James. There is a precedent in Lambeth, where one park is opened earlier than the others (Ruskin). Don't know the history, but I presume there is a demand for it? We know that Quadron staff arrive early and they often do leave the gates opened, but some of the early morning users were told this would have to stop. If they are there, all we are asking is that they aren't told they have to lock the gates behind them.

Dulwich park is slightly unusual in that lots of school kids and commuters go through it. If it is locked till 8, they have to go all the way around. Maybe that could help the decision??? :)

I suspect other parks would also want to open earlier e.g. Southwark Park. We need to ensure all areas treated fairly and consistantly. Lets see what officers come up with for all the locked bigger parks and whether we can afford it.

Ruskin Park. I thought the northern east-west pathway is always open as the detour around the park would be terrible.

• 4 weeks later...

JBARBER Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> After talking with council officers they have re

> stated that the official opening time for all

> Southwark parks that are locked is 8am. The

> unlocking is carried out by our grounds contractor

> Quadron as they are based in Dulwich Park. They

> arrive on site around 7.15 am which means it is

> possible to gain access by 7.30 am from the main

> gates at College Road and Court Lane. There has

> been no change to this arrangement.

>

> However as detailed in the Dulwich Park Friends

> Newsletter, the park locks have been changed to

> high security padlocks. This is needed to protect

> the park infrastructure due to a series of

> break-ins at the Caf? and Quadron yard including

> locks going missing. This was decided in

> consultation with the Friends.

>

> Since that newsletter was published a number of

> residents have approached the park manager

> revealing that they have keys to the gates and

> were letting themselves into the park before

> opening. Clearly not equitable.

>

> Some residents would like to access the park

> earlier in the morning. In response to this

> officers will ask the contractors to quote for an

> earlier service and review the situation based on

> the budget available. If Dulwich were to open

> earlier we would need to fairly apply this policy

> to all our major locked parks, and to adher to

> safe working practices this could only be possible

> in the lighter mornings from April to October.

>

> Any questions, observations, concerns let me know.

Bad guys, as someone has already observed, will climb over the fences - or through the gaps in the fences. I understand that vandalism may be less if the parks are locked at sunset and opened again after dawn but it seems a major logistical and costly hassle - has anyone actually carried out a cost / benefit analysis? 120 gates at 5 mins per gate = 10 man hours a day, or 1.5 wte. Make the parks open access 24/7 but spend the money saved on random patrols to counter vandalism.

If we must have the gates locked - could the notices that detail when this happens be made permanent rather than laminated paper tieclipped to fences - not excatly stylish. A permamanet notice could read "Gates open at 8.00am and shut 30 minutes after sunset" - it's up to individuals then to decide when sunset is, but the fact that it's getting dark is usually a clue.

While I appreciate that vandalism is an issue in London parks, I find it hard to believe that the majority of these crimes happen between 7am-8am. It just annoys me that on one hand we are all being told to "Change4Life" and become fit and active and then the places where you could actually go for a safe run or bike ride before work are locked.

I don't think James was saying that nylonmeals, I think he was saying that parks are locked overnight in general to combat petty crime, and the opening times have an associated cost.

Marmora Man, I think 'petty' kind of covers the crimes committed that are defended by locked gates. Committed crims will scale the gates, but petty crims won't. I'm guessing 'petty' covers 90%+

I also think rapists would have difficulty getting their victims to scale a wall.

Random partols don't address petty crime, and they're also the first thing to get cut (as an invisible benefit) when the Toreis want lower taxes. Cuckoo. Land.