Allotment in East Dulwich

Hello

Does anyone have any idea whether there are any allotments in the SE22 area and how one goes about getting one? Am a complete allotment-newbie (indeed my mother would keel over in shock at the thought of me growing anything) but keen!

(veg-friendly) Badger

Thank you SmacG.

You are no doubt right re commitment. I have a band of merry helpers who are also keen (a Wind in the Willows reference here would be apt but stumped by the fact "Ratty" is already taken - RATS).

dear Badger,

There are some on the right hand side of Lordship Lane as you go south towards Forest Hill. They are squeezed in between LL and Cox's Walk. The entrance is between that new development called High Wood and the TA place. Got a friend who has a plot there. will ask him about the site and get back to you.

citizen

I think the ones in Dulwich have long waiting lists, they did when I tried to get one. I have a massive allotment in Mottingham which was free for the first year (?86 per year thereafter) because it needed clearing of brambles and young trees. They are the biggest allotments I've ever seen, but you can get half plots if you want. There are still quite a few up for grabs all pretty overgrown in need of a chainsaw and a few energetic friends to clear them, but worth it if you can't get one closer. They are in Middle Park Avenue and are dealt with by Greenwich Parks in Shooters Hill, phone: 0208 856 2232. You don't need to be a Greenwich Resident to get one.

If you cannot get an allotment, there are good books about how to make the most of a small area at home in which to grow fruit and veg. Also, there are little ads from local experts who will show you how to grow veg etc at home. I think I saw one in Pretty Traditional. Nero

Apart from those already mentioned, there are two large allotments up near the golf club. One's called the Grange and is on the slope opposite the club entrance, the other beyond the club and scout hut is called the Gun Site. Both have pretty long waiting lists I beleive. There are also some at Rosendale Road, the entrance is near the school. Not sure what the waiting list is there. I have a plot at the Grove allotments which are next to the tennis club opposite the Harvester. I'm not sure how long the waiting list is at present, less then 12 months I think, but if you pop along on a Sunday morning can ask for Theresa (she runs the Committee) she'll be able to tell you. If you can't find her pop a note in the postbox on the outside of the shed with your phone number and she'll no doubt give you a call.

Badger,

according to my friend with the plot on the LL/Cox's Walk allottments there is a very long waiting list and even then things can be done on a nod and a wink - ie its who you know.

My mate said he'd have a word. When he gets back to me I'll post again.

citizen

One pionter - if you do decide to go with an allotment - then please please please use it - the reality vs. the ideal of having this little plot and the work it requires sometimes doesnt come into the pretty little heads of many new allotmenters - dont deprive someone else of these scarce rescources unless your are 100% sure its for you.