Truth about Albany Midwives

Thanks sillywoman.

Pk, Albany Mums are aiming to have the Albany back, not under King's, but hopefully under another more open minded body. Not only that, through this campaign we have learnt that lots of midwives would love to work following the Albany Model and lots of women would like to have this service available all over the country...and though it might sound expensive to Government it turns out its not!

Regarding King's we are demanding that the claim that the Albany is unsafe is taken off the statement on their website. The CMACE report does not prove it and until that is done it is defamation. It is very unfair that such wonderful midwives have that doubt cast over them. Though, of course, it makes sense that the closure was said to be on those grounds as it is the only way a Trust can close down a service without consultation.

Through this campaign Albany Mums met lots of women that were supposed to be with the Albany but were not able to due to the closure. Some ended up giving birth at home alone and others ended up at an understaffed King's. We have heard lots of horror stories in this past months! King's (and what it seems all the hospitals in the country) are understaffed and midwives undermined and forced to work in less than ideal circumstances, unable to provide the care that they wish to give to mums to be, this is only going to get worst as we know King's are doing some serious cuttings.

Hope this answers your question

King's CEO Tim Smart's background is anything but medical...it makes me wonder whether hospitals are turning to be just businesses!!!

http://www.kch.nhs.uk/news/archive/2008/new-ceo-from-private-sector-for-kings-college-hospital/

I've no experience of the Albany midwifes but have only heard positive comments from friends that have. I fully hope that you are successful in getting them reinstated. Perhaps they could come under the PCT rather than KCH. And unfortunately as an NHS worker, yes, hospitals are a business :-(

dmr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks sillywoman.

>

> Pk, Albany Mums are aiming to have the Albany

> back, not under King's, but hopefully under

> another more open minded body. Not only that,

> through this campaign we have learnt that lots of

> midwives would love to work following the Albany

> Model and lots of women would like to have this

> service available all over the country...and

> though it might sound expensive to Government it

> turns out its not!

>

> Regarding King's we are demanding that the claim

> that the Albany is unsafe is taken off the

> statement on their website. The CMACE report does

> not prove it and until that is done it is

> defamation. It is very unfair that such wonderful

> midwives have that doubt cast over them. Though,

> of course, it makes sense that the closure was

> said to be on those grounds as it is the only way

> a Trust can close down a service without

> consultation.

>

> Through this campaign Albany Mums met lots of

> women that were supposed to be with the Albany but

> were not able to due to the closure. Some ended up

> giving birth at home alone and others ended up at

> an understaffed King's. We have heard lots of

> horror stories in this past months! King's (and

> what it seems all the hospitals in the country)

> are understaffed and midwives undermined and

> forced to work in less than ideal circumstances,

> unable to provide the care that they wish to give

> to mums to be, this is only going to get worst as

> we know King's are doing some serious cuttings.

>

> Hope this answers your question

>

> King's CEO Tim Smart's background is anything but

> medical...it makes me wonder whether hospitals are

> turning to be just businesses!!!

> http://www.kch.nhs.uk/news/archive/2008/new-ceo-fr

> om-private-sector-for-kings-college-hospital/

thanks

i can certainly support the view that albany mothers have (largely) had experiences that were more personal and warmer that an average Kings mother, but i understand that the Albany as was no longer exists and therefore couldn't be reinstated by Kings or anyone else - but the wider focus on the model that they used i understand

are the Albany midwives themselves involved in the campaign?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi PK, sorry didn't get back to you earlier but I have been away. The Albany Midwives are not part of the Albany Mums Group so though we are supportive of them they are not part of our personal campaign. We simply feel that we had someting great and unique going on in Peckham and that has been taken away for not very good reasons. We are in talks with King's as they are planning a replacement service and we would like to know how that service compares with what we previously had.

On a different, but similar note, lots of groups supportive of midwives and mums to be are getting together this Sunday 7th of March to demand from goverment improvements on maternity services. Albany Mums is one of the various groups that have put together this march. Please join us!

All the information you need you can find it on our website http://www.savethealbany.org.uk/ALBANY/Reclaiming_Birth.html

• 3 years later...