The Montpellier

I used to live on Choumert and have walked past this pub recently on several evenings and even with the refurb I don't think it looks like a very relaxed place. I'm not sure if same management or not. Give it a try and let us know!

• 2 months later...

it is under new management - owned by a bloke that owns a couple of places around S london. I went for lunch yesterday with my boyfriend... relaxed atmosphere, nice staff, lunch was delicious (had the sunday roast) which was under a tenner... can complain really! a brilliant new addition to the neighbourhood! let's hope it doesn't go the same way as the bishop in time and become overrun... we got chatting to the staff who also said they were refurbing the roof so it will soon have a roof terrace which I'm pretty excited about!

more pubs needed with decent food, easy going atmosphere and some outside space - hurrah for the montpellier!

Went in on Sat lunch, food was lovely, but the place was empty. On entering we were asked if we'd like to take a seat (actually we were told to take one- service is v sweet but some things are a little lost in the translation!) but then service charge is automatically added to the entire bill.

Like above poster, I didn't mind paying it, but think that when the place is empty and people are directed to tables as soon as they come in its a little off to then add 12.5% - especially as there's nothing indicating this on the menus. Some friends of ours also had a similar experience when they popped in for drinks in the opening week, place was empty and serving staff directed them to a table, then added 12.5% to the cost of their drinks.

I wasn't trying to put people off the place, and certainly didn't want to get into debates around the legality of the service charges, just thought I'd point out that there are some 'teething troubles' that it would be good if they sorted out. My hope is that the owner / manager will read the forum and consider taking some of it on board. It has the potential to be a great pub with fantastic food, exactly what I want, I just think that its a shame that there are elements detracting from that at the moment.