Harris Academy (new boys school for East Dulwich)

I ask because your post made it sound like you thought there was a limit to the number of private schools that an area ought to have, and that we have reached/passed that limit. That might not be what you meant at all, but it sort of read like that, and I was confused about how that linked into needing better state schools. I don't think you'd get better/more state schools just by closing some of the private ones, if you see what I mean. So I was, and still am, confused by what your point was. Which isn't to say you don't have a good point, it's just that I couldn't work out what it was!

The e-dealer said:

"There are too many private schools in the area, and not enough decent state schools."

I can agree with your first point, but as to the second, surely having fewer private schools would mean that it would be even harder to get a place at a state secondary like Charter? I don't see the relevance of the number of private schools!

Of course, if private schools were abolished altogether (?) then that would mean that richer people would have to send their kids to state schools, which might lead to a rapid improvement in them as a consequence. But that's a different argument!!

I said it Townley. I should rephrase it that there are ample private secondary schools compared to state secondaries...and yes although it is a totally different argument I do think private schools should be abolished.

It seems to me that many are against this Harris Academy opening, and although I do not entirely agree with the way Harris runs things, his academies have really raised standards. I hope that the academy is a success.

Sorry to change point a bit. Happy to have Harris as there is a need to think ahead and ED does have a LOT of kids. My only worry is that i cant see ED parents sending their kids, (boys esp) to a single sex school. If the Harris sites were both mixed then it would be much more likely to be full of local kids and get propper local support. After the whole primary school issue it would be lovely to know there was a mixed secondary school just down the road.

Sorry e-dealer! I clearly need new reading glasses.

EDmummy, as a parent of a boy and 2 girls I/we wanted them to go to a mixed school.

Personally, I just don't get single sex schools, but I can see others like them. It was just not right for our brood. We didn't want them to be separated in terms of schools.

Having just been through the innocently named "secondary transfer process" as an ED parent I found it very complicated, stressful, political and confusing - I'm not even sure if it's over yet since I haven't had a letter from the LEA offering our son a place at the school I've just registered him at. It seems that may not be necessary since they only do that for primary schools. Anyway, we live a few streets away from Harris Boys ED but they weren't on our list of preferences when we applied last year because they prioritise taking children from certain feeder schools in Peckham (our son is at Lyndhurst in Camberwell), he wanted to go to a mixed school and I'm not very sure about the Harris ethos. And, if sibling policy prevails our 2nd born, being a girl, would not benefit from her big brother going to a good boy's school, directly at least.

Ligaturiosity wrote

although it is a totally different argument I do think private schools should be abolished

The best way of abolishing private education is through market forces; when 'free at the point of use' education offers the same or better product than 'pay out through the nose having already paid tax' education, then the demand will whither away, leaving only those buying for snob, rather than educational, reasons. Until then, private education is filling a completely acceptable need, that of parents to ensure that their children are educated to achieve their maximum potential - the private schools that fail on this quite soon go to the wall.

EDmummy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> @toast why wouldn't local people send their boys

> to a single sex school? Are you a parent of boys?

Yes I am the only girl on my mannor. My husband and myself both went to mixed schools so single sex feels a bit odd. My boys have a lot of female friends and would be likely to miss the mix. Its a long way off but after the primary business i'm planning on thinking further ahead for secondary!

Totally agree with the first bit - market forces would abolish most private education if the state stuff was good enough nationally.

Totally disagree that poor private schools quite soon go to to the wall. Private schools rarely go bust. Mine was pretty rubbish but a) there was little pressure for or knowledge of reform from the management or parents and b) it was still a lot better than the local state schools.

.. and the reason is and b) it was still a lot better than the local state schools. - as soon as it was the equivalent or worse than the 'free' offer it would die, as demand would evaporate. Independant school rolls do fluctuate with reputation - particularly for secondary 6th form entry. And some prep schools definitely do fail - not so many locally but the demand is continually high (and the provision is also quite good).

I am a little ambivalent about whether my boys go to a mixed or single sex school as what I want for them most is a high achieving school, reasonably close to home, where all of us feel comfortable. If that is single sex or not doesn't really bother me. Certainly one of my children would probably be OK with a single sex school, the other is too young to tell yet (5 yrs old and still many friends of both sexes).

Sadly, I have not yet done any research into Harris ethos to comment whether this might be the right choice for us but it may be the right choice for others.

With regard to the abolishing private education, there will always be those who believe that what everyone else has is not good enough for them so if private education were abolished they would just find another way for attaining exclusivity that only money can buy. Wish I could buy private education for my kids but not going to cry over it and instead use my energies to make them as well rounded as possible.

My stepson might benefit from Harris. But he is autistic and gets on better with girls. I am instinctively against single sex schools. They aren't good for boys from a social perspective but I know that often girls do better in single sex schools. Given that local parents didn't like the idea of merging the Girls academy and making mixed is seems we are stuck with very nice, well resourced boys school. I hope is is successful . Academy s do have mixed results but often do deliver.

• 2 weeks later...
Surely I can't be the only person who thinks the school building is a total eyesore? It looks like a shabby office block with the (bad) Christmas lights up. Totally out of place in East Dulwich and a blot upon the beautiful park. And I bet it doesn't last long before bits start falling off it, unlike the beautiful Victorian building torn down to make way for it.

I think the people who are disagreeing with Emily have not seen the school at night now that those hideous neon lights that run down the front of the building have been switched on. Totally out of character with the area and ruin what is otherwise a fairly functional modern school building. How on earth did that get planning permission? Honestly, if you haven't seen it at night yet, it is well worth a look!