UPDATED: 12th Dec night out - sign up here!

Pickle

• 3 weeks later...
Is the 8th Jan date happening? Can I invite myself along? Twindaddy is "encouraging" me to make some friends before we move to ED in Feb (apparently when I do more "mummy" things, I am happier and moan less). Hmmmm! Well, if he's offering to babysit, I am not complaining! Can I put it in the diary?!

Yes! Would love to meet you Twinmummy... I've got two little ones (18 months and 3). The "plan" is to go along to the official forum drinks, so we get to meet other forumites as well as being in the safety of other Family Room people :) Might be sensible to arrange to meet somewhere beforehand so we can go as a group, will post nearer the time to arrange something properly.

Everyone's welcome!

I'd love to join too if you don't mind (I only know Lorraine well from what I can tell from the nicknames, Lorraine it's Suzanne here. And I met Fuschia, you gave me a CD in exchange for a bottle of wine back in '08 - I'm the one with the Dutch accent ;-)).

Not sure about this time if the plan is indeed to crash the forum drinks, I'd somehow feel a bit awkward doing that but I'd love to come next time if that's ok. Will follow updates! I have a 17 month old daughter and am expecting #2 in June. Would love to meet other mums as I'll be quite ED bound for the next year or two - and mostly at home from May onwards (now work part time).

Unfortunately Mr Pickle now has to fly to Scotland for a funeral, so is away on Friday night - meaning I can't make it to the drinks :( Hopefully those of you who are planning to go along can sort out meeting up somewhere beforehand, and have a great time.

I'm definitely keen for another night out in Feb, I'm in the country till the 18th then off to NZ for 6 weeks, so before then would be great.

Pippa x

lorraineliyanage Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was a bit hesitant about crashing forum drinks

> seeing as most forumites outside of the family

> room seem to be child and mum-haters :P

I can reassure you that's not even vaguly true. A significant minority of EDF drink regulars are parents - including many with young babies too, many take it in turns to attend whilst their other halves babysit and those without kids that I've met are not even vaguely child or mum haters, in reality I often forget who has and hasn't got kids!

Seriously, don't confuse the occasional 'kid hating' trolls and the few other posters who do seem anti-kids on the main forum (none of whome ever come to drinks) and so miss out on what's normally and enjoyable evening with a whole range of people with and without kids.

I recently gave away a tumble dryer to someone via the forum who asked me which bits of the forum I like, and gave me a proper contemptuous look whe I mentioned the family room, saying: I never ever ever go THERE... I was so gobsmacked I didn't say a word, but now I wish I hadn't given her the tumble dryer for free!

I don't think mums-with-buggies are generally disliked by people without babies/toddlers in ED (I never get any negative looks/reactions when I'm out with my daughter). I think the few "haters" on the forum just think they score (forum) points by being grumpy about "mainstream" people who "settle" rather than choose a more alternative/intellectual/independent lifestyle. All prejudice of course, no need to even go into why it's all wrong and why you can own a Bugaboo/Maclaren and still be an intellectual or talk about potty training on a forum and still have a non-mainstream lifestyle. And much more importantly, you don't have to be alternative or an intellectual to be an interesting, nice person. Anyway, I think it's at most ten out of the hundreds of people on the forum.

The reason I'm waiting with the mums drinks till next month is that I personally don't feel too comfortable joining a group as a group - I somehow feel awkward entering a room as "the mums", "the rugby fans" or "the Europeans". Am not much of a big group person so I'd rather start small and with people I've "talked" with before...

millsa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I recently gave away a tumble dryer to someone via

> the forum who asked me which bits of the forum I

> like, and gave me a proper contemptuous look whe I

> mentioned the family room, saying: I never ever

> ever go THERE... I was so gobsmacked I didn't say

> a word, but now I wish I hadn't given her the

> tumble dryer for free!

Don't worry millsa - if she lives in ED long enough I'm sure eventually the lure of the family room thread will overwhelm her (highest birth rate in Europe & all that). Probably loads of us were like that before we saw the light of a life filled with poo, no sleep and sacrifice to small-ones-who-must-be-obeyed.

sillywoman Wrote:

> Don't worry millsa - if she lives in ED long

> enough I'm sure eventually the lure of the family

> room thread will overwhelm her (highest birth rate

> in Europe & all that). Probably loads of us were

> like that before we saw the light of a life filled

> with poo, no sleep and sacrifice to

> small-ones-who-must-be-obeyed.

Aaah refreshing, I was being way too serious today, thank you (tu)

ok - so does it look like a feb night out is happening instead? 13th might be tricky for me as i'm planning a weekend away with my girlfriends before i tackle the Big Move to East Dulwich(!) but am happy to come some other time if that suits the majority.