Street Cycle Store (at the end of Thorncombe Road)

ed_pete

Posted by LondonMix Today, 11:46AM

Exactly, that was my point. I don't think this is a big deal. They have been and can be located in this way. If some people specifically prefer to have them directly in front of their house as they think that's better, then hopefully that could also be arranged at the time of request.

What if their neighbours object to the above?

a quick Streetview will

> uncover bits which aren't located directly

> outside someone's front door.

So this will be invalid.

If they can be sited in places where they are not outside houses fair enough but this plan will be ignored.

What plan will be ignored exactly?

I'm not sure I understand the point you are making. I understood Rahrahrah was saying there were areas on every street where these could be located that aren't overlooked / in front of someone's front door. Based on the streets around my house, I agree this appears to be true.

To site them in places that are not directly in front of houses.

I think it is a good idea sited away from front doors as discussed.

If one wants and gets it directly outside their house others will as well and we end up with containers all down the street.

Its not aways about me me me.

Yes. I am sure if I put one up just like that it would be taken way immediately if someone complained.

How about those people who do not want their street cluttered with street furniture.

I think they are a good idea but if 2/3/4/5 houses next to each other on both sides of the street want them what then?

But the scheme has not taken off and guidelines laid down. Only time will tell and so far there are very few of them.

Question. what right do people have to restrict parking to others on a public highway for their own benefit?

Question. what right do people have to restrict parking to others on a public highway for their own benefit?

Dependent on how you look at it, every right. Isn't that what happens every time someone parks a motor vehicle on the public highway? Someone parks their car outside my house, so I park my car as close as I can - outside my neighbour's house etc.

Yes, fair enough wulfhound, that would make sense.

However, I can't help feeling the hangars look like pig pens

I don't disagree, but it's hard to think of a less obtrusive shape that does what they've decided is needed.. bit of nice paint and planters along the side & they don't seem ugly enough to waste energy on getting offended by. At least, that is, in a city that built the Walkie Talkie and Cheese Grater & is now planning the Garden Bridge.

Before these can be installed, there has to be a consultation. Proposed locations have changed as the result of responses to these consultations, so it is worth engaging. I would suggest that people who are interested in having such a facility on their street, get together with neighbours and think about where it might best be located and petition to have them bookended with some tree planting. These are a really useful thing to have on your street so why not be proactive in both getting one and in ensuring that it's put in the right place and the visual impact is miniimised.

I would love to see more of these across the Borough and hopefully, some secure bike parking at Brixton Tube.

keano77 Wrote:

> It is really about encouraging people to cycle?

> Seems more like a storage initiative. I've got a

> couple of my children's bikes in my shed which

> they rarely use. If a bike hangar appears on my

> road or nearby I might be tempted to declutter and

> store them in the hangar to free up space -

> cheaper than a storage unit.

Well that wouldn't be very community spirited of you would it?

I don't currently cycle because of the lack of accessibility of my bike. If I had a space in a hanger nearby, I'd use my bike regularly. We're not all just looking to declutter.

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The difficulty in keeping a bike if you live in a

> flat, or even a house where you may have to store

> your bike in the hallway for example, is a major

> factor in discouraging regular cycling. So yes, I

> do think it's about encouraging cycling.

No different to prams and buggies... Like I said earlier , are we to see buggy stores as well ..

When I lived in Peckham as a kid.. our flats had pram sheds in separate blocks on the estate. Not in the road..

Foxy

DulwichFox Wrote:

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The difficulty in keeping a bike if you live in

> a

> > flat, or even a house where you may have to

> store

> > your bike in the hallway for example, is a

> major

> > factor in discouraging regular cycling. So yes,

> I

> > do think it's about encouraging cycling.

>

> No different to prams and buggies... Like I said

> earlier , are we to see buggy stores as well ..

Come on Fox, you strike me as a smart fellow, I am sure you can see the difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"Question. what right do people have to restrict parking to others on a public highway for their own benefit?"

Question, what right does a car driver have to restrict parking for cycles on a public highway for their own benefit? Cars are vehicles, cycles are vehicles, cyclists pay the same council and income tax, why shouldn't they have a place to park their vehicles? Taking up a couple of car spaces (at most) in a street with maybe a hundred of them is hardly restricting your rights. Of course there is a difference, which is that bicycles don't kill thousands of people a year directly and hundreds of thousands indirectly through air pollution. Every person who cycles is one less fume belching potential killer on the road, so if having some cycle storage encourages people to get out of their cars and onto bikes that is a direct societal benefit, besides which the fact that you might have to walk fifteen yards farther from your car seat to your armchair isn't really that important, sorry.

first mate Wrote:

> Looking at the consultation for various roads at

> the last Community Council meeting there seems to

> be very little support for cycle hangars, with the

> majority against.

Wow, that's surprising. Can you post a link that that information? Personally, I'd love one on our road.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> A Cycle Hangar has now been installed on

> Ulverscroft Road.. Whateley Road end..

>

And woo hoo! I've paid my rent, my key is in the post, and I'm off to look for a bike!

Now all I've got to do is remember how to ride one. I've bought the L plates :))

wulfhound Wrote:

> Here's one of those hangars looking a lot less

> fugly..

>

> http://winerides.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/

> Bikehangar-Planters-Wood.jpg

>

> @ keano77 they're basically just bolted down - and

> if nobody's using it, I'd imagine the council will

> move it to somewhere that it will get used. So

> that they can charge people to use it. No point in

> having them on the street if they're not used.

They're not just 'bolted down', holes are drilled into the paving stone and road at the four corners, the hole is filled with Chemfix(a chemical anchor) then rods are fixed into the chemfix, the hangar is then fixed to the rods using 'shear nuts' to prevent removal/tampering with the hangar. The council don't charge people to use it, Cyclehoop do though but the rent is pretty low. The hangars are only normally installed when there is an existing demand from local residents......i.e. in Hackney some of the hangars have 40+ people wanting a place!

• 4 weeks later...