Street Cycle Store (at the end of Thorncombe Road)

ed_pete

Except the having it in front of your house doesn't guarantee you access to it. Personally, I wouldn't want one directly in front of my house. I'm glad there are people who do though as hopefully the council will take individual preference into consideration when selecting the precise location.

fruityloops Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> edhistory Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > How will estate agents photograph the property

> > frontage?

>

>

> They could use it as a selling point of the house.

> Small flat, with no bike storage, or small flat

> with bike hangar outside. Easy choice

James, if people cannot secure a car parking pkace outside their home why should a cyclist be allowed this, except I guess its the cycling equivalent of CPZ?

James Barber Wrote:

> We're trying to get them placed outside people who

> have requested them.

> Lambeth now has over 150 of these installed.

> Southwark is aiming for another 89 to add to 11.

> With the right scale this could become a strategic

> transport project and that is the angle I've taken

> with council officials.

>

> With regard to attractiveness. Lambeth in some

> cases have bookened them with street streets in

> the road. Seems a great way of doing it.

anything that would encourage people to ditch cars in zone 2 and replace with bikes has to be a good thing.

LondonMix Wrote:

> Except the having it in front of your house

> doesn't guarantee you access to it. Personally, I

> wouldn't want one directly in front of my house.

> I'm glad there are people who do though as

> hopefully the council will take individual

> preference into consideration when selecting the

> precise location.

>

> fruityloops Wrote:

> -----

> > edhistory Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > How will estate agents photograph the

> property

> > > frontage?

> >

> >

> > They could use it as a selling point of the

> house.

> > Small flat, with no bike storage, or small

> flat

> > with bike hangar outside. Easy choice

anything that would encourage people to ditch cars in zone 2 and replace with bikes has to be a good thing.

No it wouldn't. Public transport in SE London is bad, and wanting to travel East: West is appalling. SE London is hilly, and wishing to travel, especially in winter, any real distances by bike is not always (sometimes ever) possible. Many people, with children, with infirmities, racked with age (I've worked through all three of these!) finds car travel, at times, a boon, and cycle travel an impossibility. At weekends, when the bad public transport is even worse, car travel can be even more necessary.

And for most people commuting from SE22 into the city or West End, having cycle parking 'hubs' at stations like Peckham Rye, Herne Hill and Denmark Hill ? and beefing up the local rail service ? makes far more sense than expecting everyone to cycle the whole route to work. And for East Dulwich staion it might help lessen the absurdity of very local cars picking up and dropping off at the station.

I guess it's possible that cycle parking/infrastructure will get a few people out of their cars, but only in rare cases. Much more likely is that it will provide an alternative to our overcrowded, unreliable, and infrequent public transport.

But how much car commuting from SE22 is into the City or West End? The cycle superhighways system assumes that it's a lot, but I suspect that much SE22 car commuting is local and/or does not involve Zone 1. And it's those journeys which are really poorly served by public transport. The train to London Bridge is just a bit of a pain sometimes by comparison...

Penguin68 Wrote:

> anything that would encourage people to ditch cars

> in zone 2 and replace with bikes has to be a good

> thing.

>

> No it wouldn't. Public transport in SE London is

> bad, and wanting to travel East: West is

> appalling. SE London is hilly, and wishing to

> travel, especially in winter, any real distances

> by bike is not always (sometimes ever) possible.

> Many people, with children, with infirmities,

> racked with age (I've worked through all three of

> these!) finds car travel, at times, a boon, and

> cycle travel an impossibility. At weekends, when

> the bad public transport is even worse, car travel

> can be even more necessary.

But if those who can cycle, do, it reduces congestion on both public transport and the roads generally. It also reduces pollution. It's win win. That's not of course, to say there shouldn't also be major investment in public transport.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> And for most people commuting from SE22 into the

> city or West End, having cycle parking 'hubs' at

> stations like Peckham Rye, Herne Hill and Denmark

> Hill...makes far more sense than expecting people to cycle the whole way

1) stopping bike theft and encouraging car ditching by creating secure bike storage isn't only about encouraging M-F 9-5 west end/city workers to ride bikes into work

2) those things already exist

The photos in the OP show the bike shed placed bang up against the the wheelchair crossing point, blocking off two thirds of the sloping kerb stone. When I am parking a car, I assume that slope to be part of the dropped kerb.

That example appears to create a significant danger to emerging wheelchairs or pushchairs. It seems to counter the Council's general insistence on the need to increase visibility with extensive double yellow lines around dropped kerbs and junctions.

rabbitears Wrote:

> BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> -----

> > And for most people commuting from SE22 into

> the

> > city or West End, having cycle parking 'hubs'

> at

> > stations like Peckham Rye, Herne Hill and

> Denmark

> > Hill...makes far more sense than expecting

> people to cycle the whole way

>

> 1) stopping bike theft

Seems an odd one to me. The council don't supply me with a secure lock-up for my car. It's convenience, really ? people in poky flats don't want a bike in the hall, so the council is paying for a solution.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> -----

> > You're lucky, to the best of my knowledge all

> we

> > have in Ulverscroft Road so far is a barrier

> which

> > has been leaning against a wall for ages with a

> > scrappy bit of paper on saying the space is

> > reserved for a bike hangar.

> >

> > Which is rather frustrating when I've been

> waiting

> > for it for around two years now and getting

> older

> > and older :))

>

> Well that's is fine if you are happy to have it

> placed directly outside your house.. where you

> normally park your car.

>

> Foxy.

As you well know, Fox, residents were consulted - presumably including you! - and it is being placed at the end of the road where nothing will look out onto it apart from a wall.

ETA: But yes I would be happy to have it outside my house if it was that or not have the hangar at all.

But if those who can cycle, do, it reduces congestion on both public transport and the roads generally. It also reduces pollution. It's win win.

Actually, if it made it more difficult or expensive to keep a car in ED (because there was less road space, because it was part of the CPZ leverage so desired by Labour and Lib Dems) it wouldn't be a win: win. Sadly, the way our political masters play it, car v bicycle is planned as a zero-sum game (winners and losers). A non-zero sum game (everyone wins) would be better.

The hangers take up about half a parking space and there are very few of them. They house 6 bikes each. It's hard to see how it's 'pushing out' cars. I drive a car, but I also cycle. anything which makes it easier to cycle (like not have to carry a bike through my hallway every time, is likely to reduce the number fo local car journey's I make. I'm sure this is true for others to. so it really will have an impact on congestion, albeit a small one.

I just cannot see how it could be a bad thing. It's a tiny intervention and the impact will be small but positive.

Comparison of ED to Syria... brilliant.

I think your irony meter is set on low. But if you care to read many posts here you will find numbers of people saddened by any proposed changes - to road lay-outs, to shops, to building heights etc. etc.. Not all changes are good, not everything which is up-to-date is better than things which have worked in the past. For instance, and this isn't being ironical, permitted room sizes for social housing (and new builds generally) are far smaller than the just post-war standards. Many people prefer, as regards that, living 20, or 50, or a 100 years in the past. As I suspect you would, or do, too. I was attacking your disregard for the past. My Syrian point was a reductio ad absurdum point, of course.