Car left running stolen on Friern Road under owner's nose

agathoise

Just an FYI: On Tuesday evening around 6pm a car was stolen from outside one of our neighbour's houses (Friern Road) -- the driver had stepped out to knock the door (she was picking up her child) and had left the car running. She was standing in the doorway out of the rain, with her back to the car when a honking horn drew her attention and she saw her car being turned. Whomever had jumped into it hadn't bargained for being boxed in by oncoming cars and had backed into a driveway (the honking was an altrication between the oncoming cars and the person stealing her car). The car's owner and my friend assumed that the person whose driveway she'd parked across was overreacting and was moving her car. The car's owner ran up to the car and knocked on the window saying "I'm here" when the car sped off and she realised that it was being stolen. The police found the car at 3am in Kennington via Charleton (or vice versa -- I'm not clear on this bit, I think a chase was involved).

It's easy to say "well I'd never leave my car running and knock a door", but I know that I've stopped at a post-box and left the car running while I've posted a letter many times, which could easily have the same outcome.

Purely opportunistic, I'm sure, but one of the local PCs told me years ago that most crime in the area is opportunistic - a door left open and unattended for a few seconds, shopping left on a doorstep while someone gets a child out of a car, etc.

Thank goodness there wasn't a child or baby in the car!

Agathoise

Blyme - a bit harsh sandperson! I try to be green and don't drive but use public transport but don't suppose someone leaving their car running for a few minutes is exactly uncommon so it seems a bit unfair to judge them on this? If you drive I hope yours is electric or uses biofuel or someone might criticise!

Second the thank goodness no child/pet in the car.

serves her right.

not only does the owner of the car think that she can leave her car running and unlocked, she also greeted the "opportunist thief" with 'im here'.

now in her idyllic lifestyle of having people waiting on her at cafe rouge or tacky coffee house this may seem normal to have people move your car for you, but in the real world when you leave your car running and some unknown person is in it without your permission, common sense usually dictates that your being robbed.

now the fyi you began the post with says to me that others should take heed; that this can happen in dulwich (shock horror, i thought the house prices were high enough to ward away riff raff). the way i read this post, if your stupid enough to leave your car unlocked and with the keys in the ignition, you deserve to lose it.

lets just hope that, when the car gets recovered, the bad bad man left a number two in drivers footwell.

I remember the good old days when you could park your car in the middle of the street with all the doors open and the engine running, go and have lunch with a friend and come back two hours later to find the engine still running, the windscreen washed and a fifty pound note tucked under the wiper.

I blame a breakdown in family values.

While i can see how it happened, I agree with sandperson it was a bloody stupid thing to do in this day and age, years ago maybe!! thank god the kids weren't in the car. Hope the car was found in one piece and that the cops caught the thieving bastard...

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why would you leave the engine running ?

Why, to make friends with your fellow motorists of course. To brighten their day.

After all, everyone loves driving up a road to suddenly find a car blocking the way with its engine running and no-one inside.

OK -- I wasn't there, but this is what I understand happened:

The driver - who had just come off a long shift as a midwife -- was running late to pick up her child and one other to drop them at an after-school activity. It was dark and cold and bucketing with rain and I suppose she didn't really think. She parked across a driveway then ran up to knock the door, waiting until the door was opened (the kids were ready) at which point she heard honking and turned to see her car being turned in the road. I have been told that there was less than 60 seconds in it. The car was not abandoned and she was only a few feet away. She had planned to knock the door then run back to the car.

Yes, everyone knows that you don't leave your keys in the car, but as I said in the original post, we all do things at times that we know aren't the smartest. We're not always thinking straight. Perhaps some of you are paragons of good sense *all the time*, but most people I know aren't.

Not to mention the fact that doing something less than sensible does not mean that you deserve (or are responsible for) having your car stolen.

I was just noting how in this day and age it's a bit silly to leave your car running in the street. It takes two seconds to stop the engine and turn the key in the lock/press a button to lock the doors. I ride a bike mostly, but I do drive on occision and have never felt the need to leave the car running while I pop out.

I am shocked sometimes at the comments people make on here.

Agathoise was trying to be helpful and remind people to be extra vigalent but some people seem to have used it as a spiteful opportunity to say 'serves you right' - talk about kicking a man while he is down!

Agathoise, Thank you very much, I will be much more aware of my surroundings over the next month or two especially as a young single women. Anyone else saying / thinking 'serves you right' - dont come one here moaning when something similar happens to you. Ridiculous.

Poor thing I feel really sorry for her. I know in hindsight it wasn't the best plan but we've all done things like that I'm sure. I once took both kids out in the car and was really very very hassled that morning because I'd had no sleep and they were being very naughty. Returned to find my front door wide open, as I'd left it and a fox asleep on my sofa! Luckily no opportunistic thieves had passed by! At least she got the car back, sounds like it was very important to her job/childcare arrangements.

I agree with several of the other posters on here, and can't imagine any circumstances that would ever make me leave my keys in the car, with or without the engine running. I'm sure like lots of other people, I often stop at a post box to send my letters, but have never left my engine running - I don't understand why anyone would? As well as being an invitation to an opportunistic thief, if it was me I would be very worried that my actions might have allowed my car to be taken by an inexperienced driver, who could go on to cause an accident. Apart from the thief not being insured for any damage or injury they might cause to an innocent person,the downer of the car must surely invalidate their own insurance by leaving the car unattended, unlocked, and with the engine running.

Growlybear et al, no you are not insured if you leave your car unattended with the engine running, however I imagine that this is the last thing going through someone's mind as they run a couple of yards to post a letter or carry out an activity which takes seconds. I completely sympathise with the lady in question. I probably would have done exactly the same in her situation. It's just really bad luck/timing.

'and can't imagine any circumstances that would ever make me leave my keys in the car, with or without the engine running.'

Really? Not one situation?

Between us, the *Bob*s have occasionally left the car running, the motorbike running, left keys sticking in front door lock for four hours and (my personal fave) doing a full shop at Sainsbos and coming back to find we've left two (two!) car doors wide open.

We're the luckiest idiots in town.

I once parked my car in my friend?s driveway, locked it, went to the door to call him out, I was never out of sight of the car except for having my back turned, went back to the car after 5 minutes to find the drivers door open with the lock broken and the ignition lock ripped out. I was actually pretty impressed in a pissed off sort of way.