Knocked off bike and stolen - brockley railway bridge

Righty

Hi all,

I know not ed specific but at about 6.30pm tonight I was barged off my bike just past the brockley footbridge over the railway and despite clinging for my life on the bike (whilst trying to avoid being punched in the face) I lost my grip on the bike (unfortunately I had road bike type shoes on and was paranoid about falling over) and my assailant was off.

Please be on the lookout - did a drive around with the police. The assailant was a black lad roughly 16 yr old, slim with sparkly earrings in both ears. He had a smaller white mate with him. It is interesting that they went for me when no other cyclists were around - which makes me think someone was looking out further below the hill.

Thanks to the pedestrian who ran over - I completely forgot your name but you held your nerve in calling the police promptly - for which I am very grateful.

Thanks all - yes it was the railway bridge near the Turnham estate area which crosses into Honor Oak. Apparently there is CCTV there but the police said that it comes out very grainy even in daylight so probably not much use. I did a drive around with the police in the usual estate areas but nothing came of it. The police were fantastic however, - very quick and supportive.

Apparently something similar happened in Ladywell fields recently so really just a shout out for people to be on their guard in areas like that - it happened very quickly and was very opportunistic.

Righty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Apparently there is CCTV there but the police

> said that it comes out very grainy even in

> daylight so probably not much use.

FFS why don't they put a better one in then?

Very sorry to hear of this incident, but suppose it had been a murder? And they said "oh well the CCTV is very grainy so probably not much use."

That's somebody's incompetence, surely. What's the point in having it there at all? It clearly wasn't a deterrent.

Most CCTV is grainy and unusable..

You only have to watch Day Time TV.. and all the Police caught on camera programs..

CCTV is often used in poorly lit areas where more crime happens..

They are only really useful inside shops where there is adequate lighting..

DulwichFox

Really sorry to hear about this. I do hope your bike an be replaced and you don't feel too nervous to take that route again. It is one of my fears while cycling alone and I doubt there is much you can do realistically to stop them once they've made you their mark. It's been reported a few times on EDF over the years in different places - on Fountain Drive on the way up to Crystal Palace last year, on the old canal path at Peckham and on Court Lane where they held a rope across the road.

Another reason so much CCTV is crap is that it doesn't get upgraded often and in the last 5-10 years when much was installed, the quality per ? spent was very different from now. CCTV also is generally high up enough and with enough of a wide angle to get a wide area and unless you zoom in at the point the video is captured, you won't get much zooming in on the recorded file.

Suppose it's another reason to invest in a helmet camera.. seen quite a few cyclists & motorcyclists using them recently, figured it's mostly for traffic accidents but also handy in a theft situation, providing the little toerags don't realise you've got one at least. Judging by youtube footage, they seem to take a pretty good picture even in fairly low light.