Improving East Dulwich - community grant

How much is available? Are we talking ?50 for some flower pots or ?5 million for an arts/cultural centre ot somewhere in between?

I like the idea of a big clean up, perhaps offering money towards new signage for (book)shops, hanging plants etc and just making the place cleaner so we can be prouder of it. Then spending the leftover on a party!

[edited once]

If its the cleaner, greener, safer money, why not ask them to help with insulating peoples lofts and draughtproofing windows and such like. I've got a council house and the council say I have to pay for any additional insulation myself. It has about an inch of insulation so was an icebox in the cold weather.

There must be other people out there who are skint with draughty cold homes who could do with some help. I moved here from a 2nd floor flat in the Elephant, and we didn't have to worry about loft or any other insulation there, because the flats were well built and warm.

I also agree that East Dulwich is pretty well fixed up already compared to other areas of Southwark and seems like Beverly Hills to me after 22 yrs at the Elephant, but there are still (a few!) people in need here too.

I agree that there's needy people but when a council have assigned money to a community grant then it's available for the local population to take up the offer and do something for the community. There are separate grants available for things like insulation etc. but it'll be silly of us not to take up this opportunity to do something.

Monica, where can we find out more information on this particular grant you mentioned?

Hello, CWALD,

The council does offer reduced price insulation for everyone, regardless of income. It works out at about ?150 I think. Ken was offering ?100 cashback as well. Worth ringing the council (7525 5000) and asking for their environmental department. You must, though, clear the loft yourself and provide access etc. Nero

Mark, why should a grant pay for shops to improve their signage?!?!? They're a business, and if they want better signage, they should pay for it! If a certain shop doesn't want to change it's signage, that's also up to them, and if it offends the delicate eyes of any passer by, they should just avert them.

Oh, and ednerd, what if someone likes their grubby net curtains, and really couldn't give a toss if THEIR front garden is in a state?

I can't believe this forum sometimes!

Each of the council wards has money to spend so the more"deprived" areas have their own grants. Something that fosters community involvment would be good and allows the different tribes to mix - what about some Somerset House style fountains on Goose Green, or a street party on Northcross Road, or an East Dulwich sports day on Goose Green.

I would like a fountain, and a water fountain too. I used to love drinking from the water fountain in my local parks when I was a kid. Then, for no reason, they just stopped and were then removed. There is a fountain-like shape in Peckham Rye Park, but I have no idea if it will ever spout. Doe you know the one, near the 'lake'. Nero

Okay okay, if ED has to have a grant, surely it would be better spent on the library area of LL... That area was described as "the shabby end" of LL on here a couple of days ago, so maybe it would be more worth while sorting that out than the already very popular Goose Green end....

I know the one you mean - lump of granite isn't it, or similar? There's also a fountain (non-drinking) in the formal garden, which spouted for a short while, but doesn't seem to have done so recently.

If the money is for something other than general tarting-up, there's the sad-looking community centre on Darrell Road, threatened with some kind of closure a couple of years ago, houses (or used to) a youth club called something like Post Box, and has an after school club. That could certainly do with some funding.

Bawdy-Nan, did you have any specific events in mind for your sports day?

The amount available is 15000,it is not the greener,cleaner money,its the ed community grant money,i think we deserve this money like any other community,cant understand why some of you think it should be elsewhere,when elsewhere have their own grants allocated.

Monica, Could you post a link or give us a phone number so I can find out more please? Ta. Nero

CWALD, I think the adventure playground in the Peckham Rye Park is already being done up, or at least there are funds to do that. Friends of Peckham Rye Park will know more.

How about using the money to, I hesitate to use the next word, Makeover, the banks leading up to the Station platforms at East Dulwich Station. They're a complete state but I'm sure some talented young garden designer could come up with something simple and sustainable and hopefully vandal proof. Even the materials are close at hand what with the Garden Centre and Builder Centre next door. If someone could persuade Southern (or whoever runs the line these days) to cough up a matching amount then that ought to do it! Heck I'd even volunteer to give a few hours of my time to help clear it up if it would help.

Failing that, how about a paddling pool at Goose Green, a la the one near the triangle in C*****m.

Ideas for sports day events:

organic egg and spoon

hemp re-usable bag race

3- wheel buggy slalem

carrying 4 pints dash

the librarian 25 yard dash (can also be witnessed bang on closing time at the library)

the dog-poo obstacle race / the potato race but with dog poos to be pickd up rather than bean bags

pin the "chain" on the Lordship Lane (like pin-the-tail on the donkey but you mark the spot most likley for development)

bash the rat (subsitute your SE22 villain of choice: buy to let landlord / dog-walker / dog hater / newcomers / old-timers etc)

Incidentally Ithink the top end of LL ir really rather nice and we get much the best of the community facilities as it is: library which triples as bargain dvd hire place and free wifi spot, lovely library garden, the park and the really rather marvellous Bread and Life cafe, as well as some mighty-fine local shops and a plethora of cash-points.

The grant is for the community so I assume the amount given will depend on an assessment of eligibilty criteria. The formal ideas put forward must be clearly and unambiguously related to improving the community. I recall from an earlier posting that the maximum amount is ?150k. Things to find out include whether the amount can be spread across projects, or if a reduced amount was granted (eg ?75,000) then can another proposal be submitted in order to 'claim' the further ?75,000 for another community project..etc etc. I'm sure the assessment would be concerned about costs over-running too.

If I think of a community (and even in ED it is still diverse), it is important to create an idea that is accessable to all members of that community. Perhaps something seasonal is good, like outdoor ideas for the summer (eg copying thr clapham common outdoor cinema screenings - who doesn't enjoy watching movies?) a community day/sportsday etc.

I've lived in many different areas and some of the comments on this discussion sound extremely patronising to less well off people. Giving up the possibility of a grant which is for ED area by suggesting other poorer areas could use the money more for example, or paying for someone's house to get a makeover as it's too much of an eyesore...really bizarre comments! I think the residents might tell you to get back to BM Cafe and stay there!

Apple Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I've lived in many different areas and some of the

> comments on this discussion sound extremely

> patronising to less well off people. Giving up the

> possibility of a grant which is for ED area by

> suggesting other poorer areas could use the money

> more for example, or paying for someone's house to

> get a makeover as it's too much of an

> eyesore...really bizarre comments! I think the

> residents might tell you to get back to BM Cafe

> and stay there!

It was me who said about the grant going to areas more in need. I never used the word poor, and it wasn't meant to be patronising!!! For the record, I'm not rich, I'm not even comfortable. I live in a "poorer area" (Sydenham... wasn't suggesting the money go there either by the way), and I can't stand the Blue Mountain, so have a word with yourself!

Sorry, I'm having a bad day, but I don't appreciate being accused of patronising the poor, especially by someone I don't know!

As for the doing up someone's house thing, I actually commented against that, and I don't like the point I was trying to make being paired with suchj obvious bo!!ocks!

*Counts to 10 and breathes deeply*

*Feels unsure as to whether that is how you spell breathes... It looks odd* :-S

Apologies, no offence meant Keef, the reference to comments being patronising wasn't about anyone personally..just a general feeling I got from browsing through the previous postings...obviously I'm not against helping people in need but I don't think the community grant is the correct vessel for that. I don't think any grant would be awarded unless it benefited the wider community rather than target specific causes.