Improving East Dulwich - community grant

Hy All received a flyer about a community grant that we can apply for in East Dulwich,so im asking the lovely peeps of the EDF what do you think would East Dulwich needs to improve its physical appearance?

We have some lovely places in and around east dulwich but on a whole what do you reckon we would benefit from,the flyer suggested the money could even go towards a fun day or street party.:)-D Share your views

Why don't we close Lordship Lane to traffic one weekend, cover it with sand - say from the roundabout up to the post office, and have a great big beach party? I could wear my white bikini! We could have a steel band and a real carnival atmosphere.

A "beech" party? Would that involve celebration of the ancient wisdom of the beech tree?

On a more serious note, I thought the idea, mentioned elsewhere on this forum, of putting some chess/picnic tables in the park was excellent. It would bring a little bit of Central Park and a touch of intellectual exercise to ED which certainly wouldn't go amiss.

Domitianus - there are some picnic tables in Dulwich Park, I think they're new. I like the Chess idea though.

However, the money would be better spent tidying up areas of Peckham or Camberwell. I think we're already pretty lucky to have had the redevelopment of Dulwich Park, and there's lots of private money pouring into the area these days anyway.

How about investing in some really eye-catching Christmas decorations for LL and Northcross? Saw some excellent ones in France once; everything was silver with disco balls - sounds tacky but it actually looked really cool and understated. It could be headline-grabbing at a time when local businesses need all the support they can get to compete with the shopping centres.

I think any grants should be spent on a wide ranging number of projects that benefit all, not just the young / old / those with families.. I think everyone would appreciate better parks, more trees, cleaner / safer streets, less graffitti (unless on shite-stuff!), better recreation facilities, improved street furniture, traps to catch & impound traffic wardens, even grants to hold free Cinema or theatre events in the park..?!

I think it should be used for the benefit & life quality of the people of ED, not to support local business. Although the two do tend to go hand-in-hand.

Failing all of the above. Lets just stick it behing the bar at the EDT and have one gawd almighty knees up!

" think it should be used for the benefit & life quality of the people of ED, not to support local business"

Agreed.

ED is "on the whole" pretty wealthy tho' - Wouls prefer to see any cash going to thsoe whio really need it

Oh lord yes - the Christmas lights. Can we not contact whoever is in charge of them and see what needs to be done to get some new ones

I think the lights have been discussed on here before and it amounts to the traders not wishing to upgrade. I have this image of Karter taking them down in January and putting them in a shoe-box. I'm sure they would fit

lol sean,the traders have for the last 6 years asked for new lights at xmas and it does not happen so dont blame the traders,do you think the edt will give us a receipt for the cash,just in case we are asked on where the money went:)-Dhave a knees up and clean the area up im sure the money will cover both,the community grant is for ED .camberwell and peckham have their own grants.

a pedestrian crossing outside Somerfield, or at least a zebra crossing so don't have to hike all the way down to the EDT or back to Bushells to cross the road. Would make LL much more user friendly, safer and probably the punters happier.

Of all these ideas, Huguenot's is the best. However, I still stand by my earlier comment that ED is one of the last places that really needs a grant. There are plenty of things you could do to make the area nicer, but there are plenty of areas that don't even have half of what ED had 5 years ago, let alone now!

Pardon the dullness of this suggesstion, but we really need to tidy up our footpaths and the general appearance of the streets.

Here's one for you bleeding heart liberals and also for those of us who live a life of enlightened self interest. There are still some very grubby houses about the place - I would have not problem with the council getting in there, ripping down grubby net curtains and cladding, and generally sprucing up front gardens. This would provide a nicer environment for the inhabitants as well as lifting the overall appearance of the street, which is surely in the public interest.

Ednerd your suggestion brings to mind a proverb about teaching a man to fish rather than giving him a fish.

Personally I agree with Keef on this but if they are going to insist on giving the area money why don?t we come up with a cunning plan to spend it on beer?