Travel from ED to Old St

Ant

It's amazing how far away we really think we are from the City because of public transport and traffic in this two-bit town. After 7/7 I bought a bike and started riding to Mayfair, where I worked at the time. Normal journey using public transport was 50-60 mins (bus to Denmark Hill, train to Victoria, then tube to Green Park). On the bike it was 30-35 mins. I couldn't believe it!

The City is even closer. I reckon you could ride to Old St in 30 mins no problem. TfL's Journey Planner concurs.

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's a bit off topic 'coz its a different

> destination, but could someone recommend the most

> efficient and/or cost effective way of getting

> from East Dulwich (I move to Oakhurst Grove next

> month) to St Thomas' Hospital next to Waterloo

> Station.

>

> Thanks.

Best bet - either No. 12 bus - Dulwich Library / Barry Road / Peckham Rye stops. Or, as many will tell you, a bike ride - almost all the way is flat (avoid Dog Kenel Hill by going thru' Peckham High St and along to Camberwell Green). St Thomas' will have shower facilities etc at the end of the journey. Elephant & Castle by bike at rush hour can be a little scary first few times but gets easier over time!

hi Ant,

I started doing the Camberwell to Old Street commute 3 weeks ago after I changed jobs. For the first two weeks I caught the 35 bus from Camberwell to Shoreditch, then it was a 7 minute walk to work (near Old Street roundabout). It took around an hour in total to get into work, but almost an hour and a half to get home (same route in reverse). I guess from Camberwell to ED you'd have to add another 20 mins or so??

Then I decided to buy a scooter and now it takes me 25 minutes each way. I had never ridden a bike before though have driven a car for over 20 years, but after standing around for 40 minutes one morning waiting for a bus, I thought it had to be a serious option worth trying.

Anyway, its the best thing I have done in years - no waiting at bus stops, no smelly or noisy people sitting next to me, no congestion charge, no parking problems, and its easy riding amongst the traffic or scooting ahead of it. And the main thing is that I get an extra hour a day at home, even though I never go above 30 mph. I didn't need any lessons, though its only a 49cc piaggio but thats fine for inner London commuting. The bike cost me ?1000 and its the best grand I've spent in ages.

Couldn't recommend it highly enough!

I've got to admit, I'm very, very tempted. No more bus journeys - hmmm...

How does it work out with the petrol? I imagine it'd be quite inexpensive to run. And the tax must be less than for a car, too.

Ant Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How does it work out with the petrol? I imagine

> it'd be quite inexpensive to run. And the tax must

> be less than for a car, too.

Can I add my 2p worth please?

Were I not so keen on cycling, (and also not have an office in my back bedroom), I would have bought a scooter for commuting. Benefits are enormous compred to public transport, HOWEVER, I'd suggest if you do go down this route then you get yourself some beginners lessons. SGP said "I didn't need any lessons" - This is a little worrying as there are a lot of people out there on scooters who seem to have taken the same approach, and are an accident waiting to happen! There is a place at Catford Dog track that do lessons, and they are all very good instructors.

Being on two wheels (I have owned three 750 bikes in my time, so feel qualifies to offer this advice) is a lot different to being on 4 and the simplest things, such as a wet manhole cover, or white lines can have you on your side before you know what's what. Also, lessons will teach you to ride defensively, (Which I should point out is not the same as riding aggreessively!) and basically stay alive.

The other thing is protective clothing. People seem to think that because you're on a scooter that a suit, or a skirt and blouse is adequate protection. If you come off at 25 mph, you hit the ground with the same force, and will lose the same amount of skin, irrespective of it being a 49cc or a 120cc bike sliding along beside you. You'll feel more of a knob having gravel scrubbed out of your legs and hands in a&e than you ever will by riding a small bike in protective clothing.

Oh, and the other thing. Scooters can be picked up and put in the back of a van. it's happened to two people in our road, so if you can, use a F*** off big ABUS chain and tie it to some solid street furniture!

Hope it goes well for you

E

Have been looking into it a bit more and yes, I agree with everything you've mentioned. If I do go for it I'll definitely get at least the CBT. I'd probably also go further and get the proper licence in time.

hi Ant,

it costs me ?4.25 a week to fill it up with petrol. And road tax is ?15 a year, insurance is ?65 a year. I also have an alarm on the bike and a heavy duty chain.

@losttheplot - I wear a protective jacket, full face helmet and trousers to work - not work clothes, which I carry in my backpack I attach to the bike - and don't go above 30 mph maximum. I aim to drive defensively, drive only in daylight hours and, as an ex cyclist and current car driver, felt confident enough not to feel I needed lessons. In many ways, I think I ride it like a motorised bicycle rather than like a boy racer, and at least I stop at red lights!

However, lessons are naturally a personal choice, depending I think on how confident you feel, how far you'll be travelling, the size of bike, etc etc. Being only a 49cc bike, I can ride it forever on a car license without needing to take a test (but I need to display L plates, which makes this 44 year old feel like a teenager again ;-)

My intention is to use it mainly for work commuting, following the same route every day, and maybe now and then to Borough market.

regards sg

When I moved to London 8 years ago I bought a scooter and have never regretted it, I have a full bike license and would highly recommend getting a scooter in London. It makes going to work fun, it takes me 20 minutes to get to Clerkenwell and Victoria, and 30 minutes to Hammersmith. It stops you drinking after work, means you can have a nice ride out to places like Greenwich, Hampstead etc on sunny days and there is generally a good camaraderie(?) with other 2 wheeled users. It also gets you off the dire public transport system we have in London (?4 for a single tube journey!). There is the extra cost of a helmet, decent lock, insurance, clothing etc but I got my bike new from Metropolis and they gave me a really good deal (had to haggle like f*ck but it was worth it).

It reminds me of a Suzuki TV advert from the early eighties which simply said "Free with every motorcycle, you"

ED to Old St, as SGP says, 25 minutes average

ED to Old Street - I can't really add anything to what has already been said, but I would definitely second the post about protective clothing. Doesn't matter how big or small your bike the road is just as hard when you hit it. A lot of biking injuries are avoidable with the right gear.

ED to St Thomas' - I recommend the number 12 bus. It's more frequent and regular than any other services (every 5-10mins most of the day) and runs 24 hours a day. How long it takes depends on when you travel, 30mins at 7am, up to an hour at peak times. Best of all it's the only bus service that used to have its own poem!