Travel from ED to Old St

Ant

Have just been told this morning that my work will be relocating to Old St in 5 weeks' time. I'm just off Gray's Inn Road at the moment, and that already feels like a trek from ED - the bus journey this morning took a little over 1.5 hours.

Is there anyone else who does this journey? I'd rather avoid the train if possible, as it'd eat up too much of my tiny publishing salary.

Perhaps the time has come to get a bike, or perhaps a scooter.

Ant,

I'd suggest getting a bike, though for the benefit of your cow-orkers, make sure you have a shower at the far end!

I use to cycle ED to St Pauls every day, and it really does set you up, having arrived, then showering and getting to your desk nice and clean and relaxed!

As well as the bus lanes there are cycle routes, so chances of death are much reduced. Try www.tfl.go.uk for a cycling planner. It'll probably take about 30 mins if you're reasonably fit on a decent bike.

E

David, ED to Waterloo is easy: 176 all the way!

I've asked whether there are showers in the new building - still waiting for the answer. And secure storage for bikes too. If both boxes are ticked then I'll be very tempted to go for that option.

Blimey, an hour! I moving from deepest, darkest Surrey to try and cut my commute and instead it will be longer. M train from Epsom goes straight into Waterloo/Victoria/London Bridge in under an hour. It would be alright if I was still in my current job at Victoria as I'd get the train from Peckham Rye or if I was based at Guys Hospital near LB as I could go from ED Stattion but, in the words of Don Cheadle in Oceans 11, this 'nauses fings right up.

Many thanks for the advice though.

Cycling seems tempting. And it's free.

Thanks Huguenot. Glad to be here, you all seem a friendly bunch. I'd been keeping an eye on you all before posting - I think it's known as lurking - and recognise intelligence, wit and civility when I see it!

Your option seems pretty good. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

The bus takes ages as it has to go down the wonderful Walworth Rd. If there was no traffic it would take about 30 mins.

The train times may seem short but you have to build in the time getting to and from stations, changing platforms and waiting for trains. Cycling will be your quickest option - no contest, with the added benefit of being cheaper, keeps you fit and is evironmentally friendly.

I would advise taking the plunge a coughing for a travelcard Ant. Then it?s just train to London bridge and then tube.

I used to use the bus in an effort to save money but found that the stress it was causing me just made me spend more money on beer.

Is it too late to echo the earlier recommendation - 40 to London Bridge (or even further towards Aldgate) and maybe a 15-20 minute walk

I honestly think walking is far preferable than waiting for ANOTHER bus and youget a good head of steam up which relieves tension. I have worked around that area many a time since moving to ED and would always take that route