Backland Development: 55-77 Friern Rd

There has been a long running history of planning applications for the land behind 55-77 Friern Rd SE 22

1) [06-AP-1946] to develop into houses and/or flats by, I believe, the Gardner Partnership

2) [07 AP 0-156] MYN Properties to develop considerably 67 Friern Rd which is directly connected to the land of the first project.

As a local resident I have objected several times to repeated applications on the grounds that Southwark Planners ought to thinking in usage terms of community gardens, creches, community centres etc for this kind of small parcel of backland, rather than giving free reign to commercial developers whose sole objective is to develop the land and sell for the highest possible profit.

The nature of this particular development, crammed into a minimum of space, right next to residential houses is completely different in nature to more reasonable pieces of land nearby where much needed new housing and flats have been built.

In my conversations with the two (!) different planning officers responsible for this development - yes that's right.. there are two completely different planning officers responsible for these applications virtually next door to each other, I have been told that "each application is considered on its own merits entirely".

Whereas it seems common sense that in such a small area, a planning decision needs to be taken with an overall perspective on the road, its residents and the intended development. I have repeatedly asked that a Planning Policy should take in the entire development and relate it to the needs of the area but been told that Southwark's policy is strictly to see each application on its own terms.

My request to those reading is that if anyone feels motivated to influence curent policy and object to this kind of back land development they might write to [email protected]

Are you the same Adam Glasser of the EDEN Group ?

If so I am surpised no-one of your group has yet raised on this forum the major controversy / debate happening right now in the backyard of the proposed new Harris boys school at the end of peckham rye.

thank you (tu)

Hi Bob,

I know there are websites coming up and all the local residents have recently started a lobbying group but in the meantime I have only found an independent blogger talking about the issue : http://edskool.blogspot.com

I am just surprised not to have seen anything on the forum on such a major issue; I have seen some of the plans and the new school is planned to be double sized than the previous one and obviously residents directly affected are certainly not a happy lot right now.

Anyway thanks a lot

(tu)