Experience with uber taxi service !

Great, lets destroy the history and livlihoods of thousands of London black taxi drivers.

dulwichgourmet Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I used uber the fist time yesterday and was so

> impressed with how quick and convenient it was and

> cheap ! Does anyone had any good or bad

> experiences using these guys .

> I have attached the link and a free ride for all

> the new users below to try the service out also

>

> https://get.uber.com/invite/willb1040

Great, lets destroy the history and livlihoods of thousands of London black taxi drivers.

And this pernicious street lighting ruined hard-working link-boys. Cab drivers could have banded together to offer a similar service - using different pricing algorithms as their prices are fixed by distance, time and time-of-day - indeed they still could, with the additional perk that they are the only drivers allowed to pick up on street hail. Black cab drivers (who are excellent and well trained) want to operate a monopoly. I'm just pleased that there are Ubers south of the river - and prepared to travel south.

I'd be more inclined to use them if they;

a. wasn't yet another company practicing "tax avoidance on an industrial scale"

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/20/uber-pays-low-uk-corporation-tax

and b. properly vetted their drivers

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/12/uber-whistleblower-exposes-breach-driver-approval-process

Unfortunately a good idea being abused by greed.

Grok Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Great, lets destroy the history and livlihoods of

> thousands of London black taxi drivers.

or they could start competing, rather than trying to get an alternative service banned.

Having been refused by black cab drivers on so many occasions for living in SE London my sympathy has completely run out. Only last week one practically laughed in my face for living in Peckham and expecting that he might take me there from Clerkenwell. Nice attitude.

They have become hugely complacent and ridiculously overpriced. Uber isn't perfect but it's far more convenient and far better value.

Got to agree with some of these in that Black Cab drivers have not helped themselves. Of course there are many good cabbies, but I've lost count of the times that I hail a black cab only to have them laugh when I ask to go to Peckham, despite the fact it's only four or five miles from the centre of town, and they're acting in contravention of their own regulations. They're rarely polite and rarely go the quickest way, again in my experience.

In Uber's favour is the fact that they will at least go south of the river without a fuss - in that sense they do, unlike black cabbies, give the customer what they want. Against them is their complete lack of driver training. All they do is follow the nav regardless of where it takes them. They won't take shortcuts and you inevitably get stuck in traffic jams which means you pay more.