The Ivanhoe (Hoopers) - East Dulwich, Peckham or Camberwell?

Ted Max Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Abbey Wood must be well posh. Er...

LOL! >:D<

I cover Abbey Wood as part of my job, it's the easiest place in the world to get lost!!! They do have a camp site though :-S

So.. back to Hoopers then, which is found on Ivanhoe Road, SE5. Well, Hoopers, they're having a 'party night' on Friday which will involve a piano and some food (yes, picture if you will). And as it's a lovely local pub, with owners that made the effort to invite every household in the area to offer their opinion on what sort of pub they thought it should be (and they seemed to listen), and because I like their candles in the windows, the new hanging baskets and because my husband likes their beer and I cant really complain about the wine, i just thought I'd mention their party night.

When the Ivanhoe closed down to be refurbished and metamorphasise into Hoopers, we had thought it was closing down for ever and although we're not big 'pub-goers' we were absolutely gutted to hear the rumour that it might become flats. I feel it's really great to have a local and just want to see it succeed.

Jayne

• Administrator

Please note that threads are not Lounged simply because they relate to Camberwell.

The Church Street Hotel thread was 3 months old and, after its resurrection was definitely, not East Dulwich specific.

The William booth thread became "chatty", a discussion about someone's university campus I believe. I'm sorry it irritated you so I shall de-lounge the latter as it was actually quite interesting.

from what I learned at the forum drinks there a couple of months ago, the guys that own it (and it is independent, not brewery owned) have sunk all they owned into this venture. They have bought the property and want to run it as a pub but sensibly have a back up plan should it go pete tong.

Here is a copy of the planning link (thanks Regeneguru, SE5 forumite extraordinaire). Apparently it's undecided.

Planning information for application 07-AP-1308

Application Number: 07-AP-1308

Planning Case File Number: TP/2123-A

Application Type: Full Planning Permission

Ward: South Camberwell

Community Council: Camberwell

Location: FORMER IVANHOE PH, 26-28 IVANHOE ROAD, LONDON, SE5 8DH

Proposal: Remodelling of existing public house, manager's, chef's and landlord's flats at the first and second floor to form 4 self contained flats (2 x 2 bed and 2 x 1 bed). 1 storey extension to existing ground floor flat roof to Malfort Road elevation.

Environmental Impact Assessment Status:

Not required by Regs & nothing submitted

Conservation Area: Not in a conservation area

Listed Building Grade: Not a listed building

Date Received: 07/06/2007

Date Started: 22/06/2007

Consultation start date: 07/06/2007

Site Notice date: 18/07/2007

Consultation end date: 10/08/2007

Decision: application not yet decided

Decision date: application not yet decided

Expected decision level: Camberwell Community Council

Case Officer: Susannah Pettit

telephone: 020 7525 5405

email: [email protected]

Applicant:

Agent: Mr P. Stanway

Stanway Little Associates

The Studios

72 Ruskin Walk

London

Sounds like the flats are just above and to the side - is that right?

If so they shouldn't cause the closure of the pub so good luck to them then - they will be rolling in it!

'Last time I went up there it was shut'

Ditto.

They need to get a beautiful young Eastern European barmaid to work all the hours they can't be arsed to open. That might get things moving. But then who'd want to buy a flat above a busy pub...

Bit of a conflict of interests perhaps.

I just think that having a local pub that's off the beaten track with owners who are passionate about their trade, canvassed the local neighbours for input, run a clean pub, have great beers and a mix of rugby and football is a great thing and should be supported.

• 2 weeks later...
I have followed this thread from time to time, and I think the exact line of a postal district delineated a very long time ago, often before important features such as retail & leisure developments changed how the public moved around districts,is less important than where you are focused in seeing as living & working in. We personally bank, shop and(when we get time)relax in ED.So we think that as here ED is closer than Camberwell Green & our closest station is East Dulwich, then that is where we reckon we are.But, hey! what do we know?

Jamie H- If where you bank, shop and go out drinking defines where your house is then mine is slap bang in the middle of the square mile- should be worth an absolute fortune.

Glad to hear you have been following the thread - ignoring the debate about your location we've certainly given you a glowing report and plenty of free publicity. So give us an update- how's business?

Has the 'ED' location paid off?

Are you serving food yet?

Do you now open 11-11 or even later perhaps?

And do you take credit cards or have a cash machine or both or neither?

What about the flat development- how is that going?

Can you give us some reassurance that your sideline in property development will not be to the long term detriment of the pub?

Perhaps you could give us a guarantee that you will never put in a change of use application to convert the pub itself to a residential unit of some description...