The Ivanhoe (Hoopers) - East Dulwich, Peckham or Camberwell?

i live and our family live in ivanhoe road and we all were a bit freaked at first to find out they were changing the name of the pub as its sort of iconic , anyway im liking the name now although we still call it the ivanhoe.(some habits are hard to break)

the landlord is a really nice guy he is trying to improve the street, trying to recreat the days of old when we all used the local pub as a local pub. he is a fully fledged member of CAMRA and has actually had an ale brewed called hoopers..i only no this as i was at the beer festival in catford last weeek and it was there. im in agreement abouth the poor signage its early days for them so it can only get better. i haev been to a couple of the quizz nights and they were good fun, could do with a few more people showing up mind ,but the real ale made the whole experiance quiet amusing!!

so come on you locals support your local pub and offer the guy some suggestions and ideas to improve his service!!

Sort of off topic... I'm trying to find a new flat at the moment, and I looked at a place on Ivanhoe Rd yesterday. However, it is at the bottom of the road, very near to the back of the DKH estate. What is that road like - particular the bottom end? Any trouble from the estate? (not trying to offend anyone, just being realistic...)

Back on topic - while I was looking round, I popped into Hoopers for a quick pint, and it seems like a nice pub! Will definitely be going back.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sort of off topic... I'm trying to find a new flat

> at the moment, and I looked at a place on Ivanhoe

> Rd yesterday. However, it is at the bottom of the

> road, very near to the back of the DKH estate.

> What is that road like - particular the bottom

> end? Any trouble from the estate? (not trying to

> offend anyone, just being realistic...)

>

> Back on topic - while I was looking round, I

> popped into Hoopers for a quick pint, and it seems

> like a nice pub! Will definitely be going back.

make sure and check out the public transport first .no probs there jez used to live 2 doors up from the pub on ivanhoe rd although i drank in the vale(hamlet,cherry tree,manor etc etc)and always walked back to the gaff never had a prob. whether or not that was due to the frequent lock-ins which meant i was walking back at some ungodly hour i dont know but in the 2 yrs i spent there never any probs with hoods,loud noise or any other anti-social behaviour.mind you thats 14 yrs ago.

I live on Bromar Road and it's fine round there. Never had any problems with the estate. The rather distressed looking block opposite that house you are referring to is being knocked down sooner or later and will presumably be replaced by a beautiful green space. Or more flats.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi to all of you who have either posted messages or read the thread since we have reopened the Ivanhoe (as Hoopers Bar).We hope many of you will take the opportunity next Friday evening(6th)to visit when EDForum meet here. This is my first post,& thought it might be helpful if I could answer some of the comments that have been posted in recent weeks. Firstly, we have commenced opening on Mondays.We are having a speaker system with amp being installed this coming week,& the pub exterior has been repainted. We would like to have live music here in the future & would be interested to hear ideas of what local people might be interested in coming to listen to.I noted as well that some people didn't appreciate that our website (www.hoopersbar.co.uk) said we were in East Dulwich or that we changed the pub's name. Well it was a resident in Bromar Road who set up our website & suggested that we should describe us as ED.We personally rarely visit Camberwell(or Peckham) but visit LL & The Vale most days to do our shopping etc.Also local people didn't appear to have a good word for the old Ivanhoe & we wanted to have a new start to show local residents how we had (hopefully) improved the pub.We enjoy being part of the local community and we look forward to meeting you all.

Well hello Jamie

Nice to see you post on here and thanks for the update. I'll certainly be there on Friday

(I think the comments about location ie Camberwell v East Dulwich should be taken with a pinch of salt. People like a good debating point. I think the Sainsbos is in Camberwell as well but most people accept is as East Dulwich)

• 1 month later...

Have to confess I haven't Alan - it is a bit of a trek for me which doesn't rule it out in itself but wheras I'm quite likely to pop in to most places with a paper/book/crossword/DS/homeopathy leaflet for company, I do like to think I won't be the only person there. Which has happened in Hoopers unfortunately

Bit of a catch-22 for Jamie I know. But the night in question was great fun and we were well looked after. It's just we can't ALL arrange to go every night