Swine Flu Vaccination

ClareC

Thanks all, there is some really useful info here.

Millie42, your correct, it hasn't been tested on pregnant women!! I too am extremely dubious, when pregnant you can take barely any drugs yet a brand new vaccine is being encouraged!?!? Its good to hear from someone who had it, thought it was awful yet still wouldnt take the drugs!!

I know a few people that have had it, sympoms seem to vary in severity and people close to them ie living with them and even sharing a bed with them have not caught it!

From what I have read swine flu is not particularly contagious and although unpleasant to have, in the vast majority of people isn't at all serious. It even seems that pregnant women are no more likely to get it than others despite the supressed immunity.

The issue all surrounds people with other underlying health issues, preganancy being one! If you do catch it your more likely to be in the very small percentage of people who it has a serious effect on.

The NHS is not cash rich and has to make decisions on all sorts of drugs and their use. I think at the moment there is genuinely a short supply of the vaccine, hence those most at risk are being targeted. Once more of the vaccine is available I am sure it will be just like the seasonal flu jab, ie certain people get on the NHS others (deemed low risk) can pay if they want it, but it isnt included in public health care as the costs outweigh the benefits. I do agree with this approach, the NHS is after all public health care for those that need it. It is never going to be able to offer everyone everything they want regardless of cost or actual risk.

It really does boil down to being a personal choice based upon the facts available. Given my personal circumstances and the information available, despite being pregnant and asthmatic I for one am not going to have the vaccine - happy to auction the vaccine with my name on to the highest bidder though ;-) (that is a joke btw!!)

Thanks everyone, some really useful info and links here :-)

Positively dangerous, a copy of an honest disclaimer from the website vactruth

Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

The information contained within the VACTRUTH website is for educational and informational purposes only, and is not to be construed as medical advice.? If you have a medical problem, you need the help of a trained medical professional.

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Nothing here is intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. VACTRUTH has endeavored to provide accurate and credible information. However, errors can occur. Therefore, readers are urged to verify all of the data on this website.

VACTRUTH is not endorsed by pharmaceutical companies, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the FDA, CDC or any other federal, state or ?official? organization. For official information about vaccines, contact vaccine manufacturers, the FDA, CDC or World Health Organization.

By using the information presented on this website, you agree to take FULL responsibility for yourself. Self-help requires intelligence, common sense, and the ability to take responsibility for your own actions. You have the right to be healthy! I encourage you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research (or in partnership with a qualified health care professional ? talk to your physician, chiropractor, and pharmacist).

No one associated with this website recommends for or against vaccines. If you have questions regarding any of the information on this website, research immunizations to a greater degree so that you can make wise and informed decisions.

If you suspect you have a disease or health related condition of any kind, please learn and research! Learn from more then one source! If you are unable to learn, or if you are unable to help yourself, you should contact qualified health care professional practicing natural and holistic therapies immediately. The results reported on this website may NOT occur in all individuals.

Share and Enjoy:

* Print

* Digg

* del.icio.us

* Facebook

* StumbleUpon

* Twitter

* Yahoo! Buzz

* PDF

If you go to the home page of Vactruth, the lead article is written by someone called Dr (sic) Gary Null. If you Google the chap, you will find a piece on him by the estimable "Quackwatch (see here - http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/null.html).

It is in my view dangerous to cite views peddled by someone like this. It adds nothing to the debate to suggest that junk science of this nature in anyway informs or should inform individual decisions.

I found the following two links from New Scientist useful when weighing up the pros and cons (as well as addressing various myths). There's a lot of heresay and opinon about with respect to swine-flu and the H1N1 vaccine, I wanted my decision to be evidence-based. Hope these help.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18014-swine-flu-myth-the-vaccine-isnt-safe--it-has-been-rushed-through-tests-and-the-last-time-there-was-a-swine-flu-scare-the-vaccine-hurt-people-why-take-the-risk-to-prevent-mild-flu.html

http://www.newscientist.com/special/swine-flu-myths-that-could-endanger-your-life

Agathoise

Really good info., especially the "8 myths" piece.

But now I'm more frustrated about not having access to the vaccine. This should NOT be about economics....... some of us (including those in newscientist) really do believe the threat potential of a serious pandemic, and when I think about places like London, sooooo many people crammed into such an impossibly tight space....... maybe I've seen one too many of those hypothetical documentaries on how fast such a thing can move through London. Okay so it was probably anthrax :), but still! This is not a place one can avoid highly transmittable diseases!

antijen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> http://vactruth.com/2009/09/11/ingredients-found-i

> n-spermicides-cleaners-and-cosmetics-along-with-th

> imerosal-and-squalene-present-in-experimental-h1n1

> -vaccine/

>

> I think before deciding people should do a

> thorough check, I am also offered flu vaccines

> each year, and there are many reasons why I

> refuse, for me it is a question of being

> responsible for my own health rather than put

> faith in a system I absolutely do not trust.

More rubbish im afraid

Please treat this link with the contempt it deserves