When did you first go out...

Polly D

Thinking about it, I think it's quite an interesting issue - certainly quite emotive - as it's a good example of how reactions to new motherhood (or indeed parenthood - v true Emma that it's just as intersting that Wayne was out!) differ so hugely. Heidi - my feelings were quite different, something I was quite embarassed about at the time. I definitely didn't feel odd about being apart from my son the few times I was at the start (eg going to the doctor's while my husband was still on paternity leave; mum taking him out in the pram when he was a few weeks old etc). I felt relieved, and nervous about the fact I felt relieved - I felt I was 'supposed' to be unable to tear myself away from him. Perhaps that's to do with post natal depression (see other thread)or not managing to breastfeed, any number of reasons, but I think I'm probably not the only one. However clearly there are others who felt the exact opposite. There's no right or wrong here, just a spectrum of experiences. I would say it was only after a few months that we formed the sort of attachment where I missed him if I was apart from him, though even now it's the kind of missing where I enjoy the freedom while I'm away from him, then on the way back I look forward to seeing him.

I went out for the first time when my son was 2 weeks old - it was a very close friend's wedding that I wouldn't have missed for anything, and she had requested 'no kids'. I felt very anxious and strange being away from my son, but did enjoy the wedding, slipped away at about 9 and headed home with relief.

Good on any mother who does what she wants to do, as long as she leaves her child in good care. I'm speculating, but a wealthy mother like Colleen may be feeling the impact of motherhood a bit less than your average bear, she may have day and night nannies to help her out.