Blue Mountain

I know that the Blue Mountain is something of an ED institution--but surely it cannot be because of the food. I have eaten there a few times now, but aside from the breakfast plates all of it has been awful, not to mention the coffee isn't even that great. Why is it always so packed?

the blue mountain was never about the food it was always the coffee and tea which it was renowned for and even then it was more of a place to go for a cuppa and a chat rather than a bit of gorden blue(sic) and then you bought your tea and coffee for home enjoyment.i,ve been going there for a brew for years and will long continue to do so.its a ramshakle old place and i dont know what everyone else thinks but its got a bit of character about it and thats good enough for me.

have to say haven't been there for while but the food used to be ok and the coffee was good (however haven't drunk coffee for 5 years now but the cakes were great and the owner is a real nice guy, if you fancy a change highly reccomend Jack's on pellett road another nice guy good food great cakes

I think the blue mountain got it's rep from times when there was no other alternative....

but my partner has just entered the room, is reading over my shoulder and says i'm being negative and the BM is great because it's friendly and they do help you out if you have buggies and small children. and they do great cakes. and we should support them rather than starbucks. but jacks is good too.

right she's gone, i think it's okay but nothing to write home about.

I think jim has hit the nail on the head there.. They put a lot of work in to the refurb and did a good job but the service has always been pretty poor. With a few exceptions. The coffee was still pretty good last time i went (blue mountain. Not reg) but too much is hit and miss food wise

Like TT, I liked it before the refurb - but i like it now too. The staff are friendly, cakes are fine - i hardly eve eat in there except for occasional breakfast so cannot really comment on food. The key thing is to avoid the very busy times. When it is packed, the staff are frazzled ansd frankly the place is a squeeze. Unpleasant. If I go there and people are queueing I just sail on by and go somewhere else.

citizen

Hadn't visited for ages (due to being given a p*ss poor bagel once that hadn't even been toasted) but decided to take my frail, elderly mother there for a coffee on Sat. While I nipped across to ED to get a birthday card for a mate, mum was booted off the terrace as apparently others were waiting for a table there. I won't be going back in a hurry.

I used to like the "which room is invisible today" lottery at BMC. Seasons could change and you could still be waiting in the Chinese room for someone to come and take your order.

James, that is unfortunate but if you'd been waiting ages for an outside table and someone came and parked his mum on it, what would you do?

I refuse to give the place my custom - the coffee isnt good enought to warrant a visit , the food is ledd than satisfactory ( in my limited experience ) , the staff inconsistant to say the least and being packed in like sardines can be pretty grim.

Still not sure why people still bother with the place - it doesnt seem to have a great deal going for it, 'specially now Drum & much of LL itsefl seem to provide better service, coffee and often value

Ted - I know, I'd be annoyed! But surely there's a better system or way of letting people know in advance that there's a queue for the outside tables. I've never heard of such a thing before, when I go to a cafe I always assume a free table is a free table

James

I think there is a hardcore, militant group which feels that they own the tables outside. It's not a weather thing. Honestly, pass by on a sleety Nov morning and they will still be out there. I almost admire their dedication

It's not right your mum got bumped tho - I mean you were only across the rd getting a card - it's not like it was a table for 1 for an hour

Thanks for the sympathy Sean! Fortunately mum was delighted to discover that Hope & Greenwood sold coconut ice so she was able to sit outside there munching on a block instead. It did cost about 50 times more than she remembers from her childhood but you can't have it all.

I really think they are too busy for their own good. To be fair, I do think the staff is very helpful if you have children, which is probably why all the mums flock to it and why they will do good business no matter what. But the food! Gahh!