Does anyone else miss TLS's + Bigbadwolf's posts?

daizie

I don't defend racism and I never saw any - just a different and less 'liberal' (hahaha) view than the pious, hideously white, Guardian views put out by smug, affluent bourgeois who would whisk their families away from any school that became 'too diverse' quicker than you can say "How about Kent darling?". I'm not sure that insulting people and quotings PMs of people who can no longer post is good form on any level...but it's Hugenot so it'll be ok.

Is the accusation that Huguenot has never been told off quids? Because that ain't true

Plus you have managed to mangle every stereotype going just to get a cheap shot in - not sure what the point is. Especially after the excellent post from you last night

But the general tone on the thread is that Admin is percieved as not playing fair with TLS and BBW and that he is exagerating the charges and favours others. Which if I was Admin I would be pissed off at. You can call him many things but he is scrupulously fair

He is. I apologise, I'm sure Hugenot has been warned about stuff.

My vitriol was largely in response to Hugenot's but contains some truths too - spoilt by my spleen.

I do think it's poor form to hint at PMs of those that can't reply.

Yep - and to be fair it's a mistake I've made as well (mentioning PMs)

But he hasn't got a right of reply for a reason - his own dumb fault. I wish Admin would come on and say just how many suspensions and warnings he was actually given. But people seem to want to see only the good in ole Tone...

But whilst I might disagree with Huguenot's tactic I'm with him totally teh rest of the way

And there is no clique - all sorts of people say the most ridiculous things on here but to get banned takes stupendous efforts

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

>

> But the general tone on the thread is that Admin

> is percieved as not playing fair with TLS and BBW

> and that he is exagerating the charges and favours

> others. Which if I was Admin I would be pissed off

> at. You can call him many things but he is

> scrupulously fair

I don't think that's the tone of this thread at all Sean. Its an open discussion about how these people came across on the forum and whether they are missed.

We all very much appreciate the role some people play in assisting Admin in running the forum but I'm sure if Admin thinks he is being misrepresented to any great extent he will make that point. Is that not fair comment?

I have to admit that my first post was "bring em back" but that was not intended to suggest I disagreed with Admins decision, I just thought this was a normal temporary ban and they'd soon be back, but it seems this is not the case this time round.

I completely agree that Admin has always come across as fair to me. Its his house after all.

Keef, it's really exasperating. I can see the need for an alternative voice. On the blinkin' church/cinema thread you did the same thing. There isn't an effing clique to compete against. You manufacture this entity in order to give yourself a debating position - is this about school or something? Sometimes you can have a view without putting a red under the bed.

Er, yeah, I invent things so that I can have a row. I won't deny it, because, as ever, you are so sure of what you say, it is stated as fact, so there is no point diagreeing.

What a load of balls!

Yes I'd still have a pint with you and sing Birdhouse in your soul.

As for the clique thing, I am sorry I mentioned it, but frankly, people saying there is no clique, does not convince me that there is no clique. This is not to say that people mean to be in a clique, and have a secret handshake or anything. Perhaps clique is the wrong word, but there is a certain group, who seem to jump to each other's defence, and defend the "popular" opinion, even if others don't seem to think it's so popular.

I think it is a real shame that the person who started this forum, can't really take part in it very much, because it has become so large, they now have to just run it, rather than really enjoying it. I do however think that others (not just you Sean, although you're obviously the worst) take it upon themselves to be the voice of admin at times, even when admin hasn't seemed to have an issue with something.

This is not a personal jibe, it is just the way I see things, and if it was taken in to account, everything might just get a bit more chilled out.

How many times has this been discussed? Alot.

Clearly there are groups of friends within this community and subsets of those groups.

That these relationships can be seen through discussions on the Forum is not a huge surprise or indeed problematic.

That there is a group of people who are central to the technical functioning of the Forum and that they are friends is not a surprise or problem, surely? That they may have an insight into the backroom workings of the Forum is not a surprise or a problem, surely? With that insight and involvement comes an air of authority. They havent sought that authority, but have it by dint of having knowledge. Knowledge is power. Even when not sought.

This is a function of having a community based, community run, free for use, internet Forum. Some people have to run it and they will have more knowledge than the majority. This doent automatically make them a clique. They are part of their community and are answerable to the community through the debates that can be found here.

However if knowledge gives power, then power requires humility and self-awareness for it to be used effectively. It may be worth reflecting on whether there is a tendency for such friends to leap to the defence of, or in support of each other and their wider group of friends, without reflecting on the impact that this behaviour has on others. They may have to self-edit or even self-censor. It may be that the freedom of speech that they allow to others is self-denied to them. This is one of the burdens of authority and power.

The alternative is to have the group who manage, facilitate, mediate and police the community as a separate entity, not part of the community, but apart and separate from the community.

The amusing thing is that if you are one of those people who gets all angry about 'people who are only brave when they are hiding behind their keyboards' (etc) and thus decide the best course of action is to, say, arrange a fight in a car park: the amusing thing is that your only means of doing so is by sending them a 'PM'.

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And how do you know who to fight once you get

> there?

Thinking about it, it would be more in keeping to meet-up in an arcade and settle any differences by going twos-up on Donkey Kong.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Keef Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > And how do you know who to fight once you get

> > there?

>

> Thinking about it, it would be more in keeping to

> meet-up in an arcade and settle any differences by

> going twos-up on Donkey Kong.

Surely Street Fighter 2, or the first Mortal Kombat!