WARNING - two men pretending to be police officers

we got burgled last year while in house asleep ! woke up to go to work and guy was down stairs a chase followed, quite scary anyway a lesson learned,double lock front door we now have a wireless (alot less mess with wires)burgler alarm fitted by electrician friend,but will never forget the guys face that came in.

Right. Rather embarrassing this. Apparently the men were detectives taking part in an intelligence operation. We got a call from the Southwark Intel office and they thought it was rather amusing that we took their men to be polished criminals. However, the unclear, unconvincing badges, their reluctance to go into detail about what they were doing, and their arrival just as we'd finished packing the car and were obviously going away for the weekend all combined to make us suspicious. As well as the fact that lots of other neighbours were in at the time and they didn't speak to any of them. It's taken nearly a week for them to finally get back to us and relieve the worry - during which time we've spoken to over ten different police people, none of whom knew who they were, and all of whom thought their behaviour suspicious. Just trying to make us sound a little less neurotic!

Still, we've now get a super-secure house! Just need to deal with the mice now...

This is such a brilliant outcome. Hilarious and relieving in equal measures.

I live just round the corner from you and it really shook us up.

Everyone's probably a little more on their guard re hard locking their doors etc. no bad thing at all.

brill

Goodness me. I am SO embarrassed. Such a shame they couldn't have let us know within 24 hours but then, you know, I'll be just as suspicious if this happens again. And we are so on the ball now with our security. SO much more than we were before that it can only be a good thing.

I'm really sorry for worrying everyone. Thanks for being nice about it.

Hi

A Man came to my door saying if i want my windows cleaned at 07.15pm today. It was very weird because its very dark outside.He had a deep sound. I told my family about what happened to Fidgetsmum. We did not open the door. I too asked some of my neighbours and they said nobody came round to their houses. I would have thought that.

Just Be cautious before opening the door.

Uzzy

I am to a (Bellenden Road Residant).

I do not find this amusing in any way - had this been my very elderly mother she may have had a serious turn... since when have the police decided to go around doing 'intelligence' - unheard of - it is crap. I do not believe it for one minute - how do I know you are not the person who instigated it? Why would the local police or any police ever dream up such a scheme - bollocks....

fidgetsdad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Right. Rather embarrassing this. Apparently the

> men were detectives taking part in an intelligence

> operation. We got a call from the Southwark Intel

> office and they thought it was rather amusing that

> we took their men to be polished criminals.

>

xxxxxxxxxx

I don't want to worry you, but how can you be sure that this call came from a bona fide source?

The call came from a bona fide source as we we double checked Southwark Intelligence offices numbers with the other police that we had been in touch with from other departments. We are not entirely stupid, but we can forgive people for thinking perhaps we are a little challenged in that arena.

Gordie, I'm upset that you chose to swear at us considering how upset we obviously were before we had it confirmed that they were police officers. I have a two year old daughter and felt extremely protective of her, and it is precisely because of the elderly people in our neighbourhood that I chose to place a posting warning people of the situation.

AGAIN, we apologise for causing undue alarm. May I suggest anyone who feels there is still anything suspicious (we no longer feel that way) contact Peckham police themselves or ask to speak to the Southwark Intelligence office.. or perhaps the South Camberwell Safer Neighbourhoods team? Not sure there is much more we can say to put anyone's minds at rest.

pepsi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think it's really irresponsible of the police to

> do something like this without warning and without

> providing more explicit reassurance. I don't

> blame you for being suspicious and you shouldn't

> feel in the least bit foolish.

xxxxxxx

I agree